Use Computer as a Router

Status
Not open for further replies.

abixalmon

Right off the assembly line
Can anyone give me some idea on how to customise a computer to work as a router for Internet connection (64 kbps Leased line)..
We have a dell poweredge server with a modem..

theraven

Technomancer
u basically want to set up an internet connection sharing between ur computers if im not mistaken ??
well it has been explained a lot of times
since u have a modem .. just make sure u have one lan card on ur host. ..
just setup a basic network ... as i think u might have ..
now i dunno abt win 2k ICS ... so i will suggest u setup a proxy .. like proxyPLUS(freeware) ... or avirt gateway ( paid)... or 602LAN SUITE (freeware)
i suggest 602LAN suite. .... its supposed to be good .. but i havent tried it ..
after this .. just set all the programs on subsequent PC's to use the proxy ... simple ...
o and just 2 things abt ur avatar ...
1) not that big. . but yet rules allow a max of 80*80 pixels .. so reduce the size
2) ... the "BIRDY" ?? not very friendly ... but your choice ..

aadipa

Padawan
all explained

but change ur avatar as it is already take by cooljeba, i just mistaken u for him

OP
A

abixalmon

Right off the assembly line
Man,
My avatar is always mine.. I have been using it everyforum i use..
i m a active member of *zor.org/tsrh and my avatar is the same:

Difference between his and mine is that..

Mine is a registered avatar of CORE Team;;;cant u see CORE on the cap..
(Challenge Of Reverse Engineering)

I m CORE's Fan and i can use it for free.. but that guy seems to have edited the Image and made his own...

firewall

In the zone
GNU/Linux has a very powerful IP stack built into the operating system. Linux itself has the capability of routing your lan to the internet with NAT or Network Address Translation, i.e. IP Masquerading. *www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/IP-Masquerade-HOWTO.html

You can even use a micro-distribution of gnu/linux. There are versions of gnu/Linux out there that run off of a single floppy disk. Using one of these distributions, you can convert an old, unused computer (even a 486!) into a capable broadband router. Since the software fits on a floppy, you don’t even need a hard drive in the system! Most of the micro-distributions of Linux routers have minimum requirements of a 386 with 16Mb of memory.
see : *www.coyotelinux.com/

or use special distro like Devil-Linux 1.0: Firewall/Router Distro , it is an An ideal Linux distribution for an easy-to-configure firewall or router -- especially if it needs to run on old hardware.

:)

:)

djmykey

Let the music play.....
I had rented my cafe last year i think last to last year to some engg students they had made a router in Linux as their project. Man they screwed my brains and my hdds also and also a keybd. But their project was a success and also to tell ya they did it on RH 6 can u believe it. And hell they 4got to uninstall it and i didnt know how to so guess what i did used partition magic and fdisk/mbr !!

pradeep_chauhan

Cyborg Agent
come on what harm can a few kids do. by renting your place for an experement showes you are open to new ideas tecnology etc so a few set backs should not put you down. Moreover today a linux router is the most versitile and cost effective setup you can have

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom