USB woes !!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mohit

The Hardware Labs
hey guyz i just installed a new sony dvd-writer on my machine and everything was fine until suddenly i got a BSOD and there was some error regarding usb configuration and it stated that "a recent hardware or software change might have caused it or something". i ignored it and things were still smooth but i now i am having a weird problem.... my usb devices dont get detected when i plug them into any usb port ... for example my usb thumb drive does not get detected when i plug it in .. but if i restart the system then it works fine. this occurs randomly and without any errors/warning. what is the problem ?

and ya my system stops responding especially the device manager and xp does not shut down also... just gets stuck at the shutting down screen.

plz help. thanx.

rajas

In the zone
Hey Mohit, u forgot to mention the OS you use.

U might want to try uninstall and reinstall the USB from Device Manager.
Also try System Restore.

Also see this, General USB troubleshooting in Windows XP
Try a very important step, Remove and reinstall all USB controllers

To remove and reinstall all USB controllers, follow these steps:
1. Click Start, and click Control Panel, and then click Performance and Maintenance.
2. Click System, and then click the Hardware tab.
3. Click the Device Manager button.
4. Expand Universal Serial Bus controllers.
5. Right-click every device under the Universal Serial Bus controllers node, and then click Uninstall to remove them one at a time.
6. Restart the computer, and then reinstall the USB controllers.
7. Plug in the removable USB storage device, and then test to make sure that the issue is resolved.

if you are with Win98 or WinME
General USB Troubleshooting in Windows 98, Windows 98 Second Edition, and Windows Me

OP
mohit

mohit

The Hardware Labs
plz see my signature for my complete config. and hey how do i do step 6 i.e how do i re-install all the usb controllers ??

rajas

In the zone
sorry havent seen you sig. cannot see them in posting view. :wink:
Neways.

how do i do step 6 i.e how do i re-install all the usb controllers ??
Answer: Once you restart the computer, XPSP2 should get them back.
In case you do not get 'em back, try installing the USB drivers from ur MOBO CD.

Post reply once u tried it.

D

dinesh_singh

ye the problem lies in the software.
re-install your drivers and it will be just fine.

OP
mohit

mohit

The Hardware Labs
hey guyz as i am using an intel original board i have a doubt,

will i need to reinstall the intel chipset inf utility that is to be installed with other drivers after i remove all my usb drivers ?

the chipset inf utility helps in cofiguring the usb drivers or something. plz advise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom