Usb Problem-new

Status
Not open for further replies.

rsrneuro

Right off the assembly line
I have a pentium 4; 4.2 GHz. 768 mb memory and 4 usb ports. Windows Xp home does not assign any drive letter to cameras, flash disks, Pocketpc attached to USB but assigns and explores detachable iomega backup HDD and Hp USB connect printer.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled USB host, drivers etc. I have reinstalled Xp home with sp2. I have tried in all the ports one by one. I have changed registry entries for " permission" for the usb ports. I am confident there is no virus (McAfee online antivirus is installed). On plugging in the Sony thumb drive (or any similar device) the computer recognizes that the new hardware and installs the same - your hardware is installed and ready to use. But I cant see it in the explorer.

My computer disk management takes unusually long time (only if the usb device is connected) and shows the disk without a letter. I have to assign the letter manually and explore the same to get into the contents. ( the last drive letter is z). This is going on since 4 months. Any help available ?

OP
R

rsrneuro

Yes. All these devices work in other computers including laptops. The computer in question recognizes a few devices- like iomega backup harddisk, Epson USB connected printer.

Last edited:

wizrulz

GUNNING DOWN TEAMS
rsrneuro said:
Yes. All these devices work in other computers including laptops. The computer in question recognizes a few devices- like iomega backup harddisk, Epson USB connected printer.

1) Go into start -> run -> regedit -> hit ok

2) Navigate to:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\MountedDevice1]

3)file -> export (the mounteddevices1 folder)

4) delete all the dosdevices drives (ie \dosdevices\C

5) Try first without doing same for "mountd devices" folder and if it doesnt then do to that also.
6) go to [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E967-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}] check these registry nos for correct device

7) Export this too

8) delete the upperfilter key

9) reboot and try plugging in your device.

backup ur registry before trying this..and try this at ur own risk :D....

and ya give ur feedback ;)

Last edited:
OP
R

rsrneuro

THANKS. I AM TOO A NOVICE TO TRY THAT !! AND AT MY OWN RISK - WHAT A WARNING U HAVE GIVEN !! Let me try with a professional by my side

wizrulz

GUNNING DOWN TEAMS
rsrneuro said:
THANKS. I AM TOO A NOVICE TO TRY THAT !! AND AT MY OWN RISK - WHAT A WARNING U HAVE GIVEN !! Let me try with a professional by my side

If u can backup ur system state ....u can surely give it a try...if anything goes wrong..u can just restore to last sate ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom