USB Modem Connection.

Status
Not open for further replies.

godsownman

Padawan
Hello,

I have got a motorolla cable modem which I want to connect to the computer via the USB port instead of the ethernet card. Actually my friend desperately requires my ethernet card for a few days so I need to do so.

I tried connecting it following the instructions provided.

I set up the connection provided the DNS address and IP address everything....

Then it even showed it as connected at 12.0 Mbps.

Now the problem is that there was no data transfer . It just showed as .... bytes sent , but 0 bytes received .

Can somebody please advice me where I have gone wrong. Please :?

mail2and

Walking, since 2004.
just switch off the modem for around 5 seconds.. remove the power adapter.. now connect it via the USB port. now power on the modem and it'll work fine ;)

If you are in Mumbai, i guess you're with Hathway. Most ISPs bind the connection to a single MAC address. This MAC address of ur pc(ethernet/usb) is reported by the modem. If you switch off the modem, it re-detects the MAC address of the PC when the modem is switched on again :)

OP
godsownman

godsownman

Padawan
Thankyou.

It was exactly that. As USB's are plug and play I was not switching off either of them.

On reading what you said I tried it and it worked. Thanks a lot.

Regards.

OP
godsownman

godsownman

Padawan
I have intentionally reposted or else it may go unnoticed.

Which method of connecting the modem is preferable USB or Ethernet. I mean which gives you the most speed.

Regards

vijay_7287

Cyborg Agent
the speed is the same with both , it purely depends on the bandwidth

but i think the ethernet port is more stable compared to the USB

and maybe the ethernet port also consumes slightly more power (though negligible) !!!

siriusb

Cyborg Agent
and maybe the ethernet port also consumes slightly more power (though negligible) !!!
How do you know that?

USB modem drivers are less stable in windows and more difficult to find for linux. Stick to ethernet ones unless your pci slots are filled and you have no onboard lan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom