USB Keyboard - problem during bootup

Status
Not open for further replies.

sakumar79

Technomancer
Hi
A relative of mine has a zenith pc with usb kb/mouse... Today, after doing a windows update, his computer went into a recursive reboot... I managed to get to the xp startup menu but the kb didnt respond (up/down/enter)... The kb worked during bootup at BIOS setup... Does this mean that usb driver was not yet loaded by xp? will he have to get a ps/2 kb to navigate the startup menu?

Arun

eddie

El mooooo
Always mention your hardware when you are asking such questions. Anyways, if this computer runs a i815 or i845 based motherboard then go into BIOS and disable "Legacy USB support". If you can't disable this option or you don't have it in BIOS at all then you have no other choice but to either use a PS/2 Keyboard or use a USB-PS/2 connector.

OP
S

sakumar79

Technomancer
It is a 845 based board if I remember correctly... During BIOS, the keyboard works, when I press Ctrl+Alt+Del (not F8 on this computer) to access the startup menu, the keyboard works, but after that, it doesnt respond...

My question is whether this is symptomatic of all USB keyboards in Windows or this may be due to some hardware issues...

Request others with USB keyboard to try and inform me asap...

Thanks in advance
Arun

eddie

El mooooo
The thing is that some motherboards have a problem in their BIOS where they enable "Legacy USB support" by default but Windows XP doesn't need it. So what happens is that moving around in BIOS is no problem but as soon as Windows XP loads, it hangs! It is a known thing and the only solution is to either disable Legacy USB in BIOS or if you don't have this option in BIOS then use a PS/2 keyboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom