URGENT:which linux??

Status
Not open for further replies.

GunshotSilence

Journeyman
had suse9.1 and winxp pro

removed suse as it cudnt install my grpahics card.

now in college our server runs on redhat and we program c and perl on it using a tool called putty which connects to it from windows,

so i wanna know whihc linux distribution is the best.

is it true that intel doesnt support mandrake 10.1?

i tried using live cd knoppix but it doesnt allow write access to my hdds. which is needed.

and compileing perl and c on windows is very diff from linux in syntax and also things like subroutines.

in windows in perl, subroutines automatically return values 3 times. but not in linux. it has to be called 3 times and explicitly asked to return values.

kalpik

In Pursuit of "Happyness"
The Fedora Cores are really good. Try the latest FC4. Also, since based on RedHat, you will be familiar with it.

OP
G

GunshotSilence

Journeyman
well we dont work on our college server? just access our named folder (acc. to rollno. ) thru command line. type code in vi editor and run progrm. hows mandrake 10.1 oofical?

i already have it from digit dvd?

will my p3 933 mghz support it?

kalpik

Mandrake is not bad either from what i've heard (havent used it myself so acnt say much). Yes, FC4 was provided in Digit. And yes, it will work just fine on your system. (Just make sure you have more than 192 MB of RAM, if you are interested in the GUI).

kalpik

Ubuntu and Gentoo are "no frills" distros. They only contain basic stuff. Good for surfing the net n stuff, if u ask me. If you want to do real stuff in Linux, you will have to downlaod a lot in Ubuntu. Fedora Core is the MOST complete distro AFAIK.

dabster

In the zone
Yes, If you hve good speed Internet connection than only only go for Ubuntu...As it has very few packages on its free CD,
FC4 is really a Good option...

kalpik

Im really sorry, but i have no idea about it! Please wait for someone more knowledgable to come along!

vignesh

Wise Old Owl
GunshotSilence said:
had suse9.1 and winxp pro

removed suse as it cudnt install my grpahics card.

now in college our server runs on redhat and we program c and perl on it using a tool called putty which connects to it from windows,

so i wanna know whihc linux distribution is the best.

is it true that intel doesnt support mandrake 10.1?

i tried using live cd knoppix but it doesnt allow write access to my hdds. which is needed.

and compileing perl and c on windows is very diff from linux in syntax and also things like subroutines.

in windows in perl, subroutines automatically return values 3 times. but not in linux. it has to be called 3 times and explicitly asked to return values.

Knoppix allows write access.Just rightclick on the mounted partition and select the change read/write mode option to make it writable.

desertwind

Cyborg Agent
GunshotSilence said:
how to order suse dvd/cd in india? how much does it cost?

There are several gnu/Linux CD vendors in India. Contact any of them. They'll provide it for a reasonable rate. But contacting ur nearest LUG/FSUG will provide you CDs much cheaper.

*www.debian.org/CD/vendors/#in
*www.linuxbazar.com

sujithtom

Ambassador of Buzz
Dude u can write to hdds thru Knoppix. All you have to do is to select properities of the hdd and untick the Read only option.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom