URGENT -SYS ONLY REBOOTS AFTER INSTALLING AUTOPATCHER XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Akshay

Cyborg Agent
I recently installed autopatcher xp aug.2005 that came with the oct.05 DVD of digit. After installation now my comp.refuses to boot up. It automatically restarts after showing bootup screen. My sys restore was off. If i select last know good settings or safe mode or any other option, the sys still keeps rebooting and never starts. I have win98 on my c drive which is working fine. I had selected critical and other updates option in the autopatcher xp. How do I restore my sys to previous setting where everything worked fine? Please help its urgent (I have not installed any new s/w. b4 or after autopatcher xp)

Sourabh

Laptoping
During the OS Selection menu, press F8 key and start Windows XP in safe mode. And uninstall Autopatcher from the exe file where you extracted the autopatcher updates, by default: x:/program files/autopatcher/Uninstall.exe. if that doesnt work, start your PC in safe mode, remove unncessary things from startup - Start>run>msconfig>Startup and uncheck enteries which can be let go with and uninstall antivirus/firewall or device from Device Manager if u updated some hardware drivers lately.

OP
Akshay

Akshay

Cyborg Agent
safe mode - not helping

The prb is that the sys reboots even if i select safe mode or last known good config. Nothing seems to work. I have heard about recovery console but i dont know the right commands for it...

Sourabh

Laptoping
Recovery Console? or did you mean repair. I dont think you can solve this problem from the Recovery Console. Repairing it through XP setup would be the only option.

Tech&ME

Banned
There is a way out for this problem.

Since you are not getting any BSOD. The autopatcher has updated your system with some registry setting which was not required at all. You forgot to untick those registry setting changes which were to be made by the Autopatcher. And belive me this is where Autopatcher nearly kills your system.

I personally do not recommed anyone to use Autopatcher. It is best to use Windows Update or Microsoft Update instead.

---
As for the Solution :

Step 1:All you need to do is insert the Windows XP Cd in your Cd Rom drive (configure BIOS to boot from CD) and restart your computer.

Step 2: Say YES when it says "Boot from CD"

Step 3: Let the installation screen come up and then select the drive where Windows XP is already installed. Remember to select "LEAVE THE PARTITION AS IT IS DO NOT FORMAT."

NOTE: You should NOT Format your harddisk. Simply install the OS again on top of it.

Step 4: let the installation complete.

This method will install Windows XP on top of the existing Windows XP on your harddisk and leave the My Documents folders as it is.

This may solve your problem.

Gaurav

In the zone
I faced the same problem but i was presented with a BSOD instead of a reboot. I too was'nt able to boot into any option that windows xp provided after i pressed f8 key.
reinstalling the windows xp pro solves the problem but it takes 35 minutes to complete and you are not sure whether the solution done is permanent or not as i face this problem after every 20-30 days. :(:(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom