urgent problem can't install win98 please help me out

Discussion in 'Software Q&A' started by pandher, Dec 24, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pandher

pandher New Member

hi
    i have got a problem
    whenever i install windows 98 on my pc
    it installs properly but when i open "my computer" in it
    it doesn't show G:
    the device is a brand new lg writer working properly
    pleazse help me out
    i am really fed up
    and have tried it three or 4 times
    reply quickly
    thanks

2. icecoolz

icecoolz Active Member

Hmm...lets see...

First after installing Windows 98 right click on My computer anf goto Properties.

In that goto the Hardware manager and then device Manager. (cant remem exactly what this is as its been ages since I worked on Windows 98!!!). And see if anything is there with a yellow exclaimation mark next to it. If so this will most probably be your CD writer which has not been recognized by 98. You must have gotten a CD with all the drivers so use that CD to install the drivers and restart this should solve ur problem.

You say it is working properly...how do you know this ? Also check that ur writer is connected properly to ur system.

3. tuxfan

tuxfan New Member

:roll: If the CD drive doesn't work, how can you install its drivers from a CD? Usually a floppy comes with CD drives. But for reading, you don't need drivers in Windows. It picks it up automatically.

For making CDs using the writer, you will have to install the cd burning software that came bundled with you writer. e.g. Nero

Secondly, you need to check the IDE cable and motherboard slot to see if they are working properly. You can't change your motherboard so easily, so start with the cable.

4. theKonqueror

theKonqueror CCIE# 20863

Go to my computer, select properties. Go to Performance Tab. If u see a message here saying Compatibility mode reducing overall system performance, then surely u've got some bad device driver. Maybe ur installation disk is bad. After formatting, if it again shows the same message, maybe u got virus on other partitions. Scan ur disk with quick heal, coz I faced same prob 2 years back, QH solved it. :wink:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.