URGENT HELP . . . SATA vs SATA II

Status
Not open for further replies.

jay4u

In the zone
I have recently purchased seagate 200 Gb 7200.7 SATA drive. is it sata or sata II. i guess its sata.

Please tell me should i return it to my vendor and get Hitachi 250 Gb Sata II instead of this drive.

Please reply urgently as i need to take action within 2 days....

drvarunmehta

Wise Old Owl
SATA II isn't really faster than SATA. The 3 Gbps speed that SATA II offers is only theoretical. You won't see any difference in real world situations. However if the SATA II drive supports NCQ (and so does your mobo) and the SATA drive dosen't, you might consider changing it.

OP
jay4u

jay4u

In the zone
does the drive has ncq in it.. coz i heard seagate giving it in its drives with sata I... my drive model is st3200822as...

also i heard seagate drives are better quality and more years of warranty.... and also last longer and are quiter... is it true....?????

what do you think... should i return it or keep it....?

OP
jay4u

jay4u

In the zone
how much will a hitachi 250 gb sata II cost... this seagate cost me 3900. And how is its after sales support....

Kniwor

Learner
NCQ requires both controller and Hard disk support.....
SATA II is no good over sata if u dont have a fast drive itself....

cyrux

In the zone
drvarunmehta said:
SATA II isn't really faster than SATA. The 3 Gbps speed that SATA II offers is only theoretical. You won't see any difference in real world situations. However if the SATA II drive supports NCQ (and so does your mobo) and the SATA drive dosen't, you might consider changing it.
Mind explaining why wouldnt there be any noticeable changes ?? What are the practical issues

The last time i hear hitachi Sata II hdd 250 Gb costs around 4.7k

OP
jay4u

jay4u

In the zone
i am getting it for 5250 rs.... hitachi deskstar.... should i buy it..... will it last more than seagate...?????

also i am planning to buy asus a8n-e... it supports sata II but does it supports ncq..... again i want to buy another hdd in near future and use raid 0...... i know in case of raid 0 data is simultenously writtern on both hard disk..... in that case should i get hitachi, coz if one hdd burns out my data will be at risk.....

drvarunmehta

Wise Old Owl
cyrux said:
Mind explaining why wouldnt there be any noticeable changes ?? What are the practical issues
No matter what the interface, the platter inside is going to spin at the same speed i.e 7200 rpm (for most drives). This is the limiting factor. If the hard disk can't read data fast enough to saturate a 150 Mbps SATA interface how can it fully utilise the 3 Gbps SATA II interface?

Kniwor

Learner
If u only have a Bicycle to travel on........

it does not matter if it is a eight lane Highway or a reasonable good road......

i think that's quite an analogy

ambrewz

Broken In
SATA II better

Better go for SATA II casue even if it does not Give Full 3Gbps data transfer but it is any day better than what normal SATA data transfer would b ...

ambrewz

Broken In
Sale service is the Best

Hitachi guys come to ur place and Pick up the HDD in case somthing is Worng... it's Onsite warrenty as of NOW...

OP
jay4u

jay4u

In the zone
Re: Sale service is the Best

ambrewz said:
Hitachi guys come to ur place and Pick up the HDD in case somthing is Worng... it's Onsite warrenty as of NOW...

are you sure of it. i live near mulund. will i get onsite warranty..... then i will change the drive on monday itself.

common guys ... looks like i am more confused now.... okie tell me one thing... out of seagate and hitachi.... if i keep 24 hrs on my pc ... which one is more likely to get burn out first.....

maheswar2006

Broken In
Take the SEAGATE 7200.9 SATA II (160GB). 3GBPS with NCQ. I have got 2 of these in RAID 0. ITs the fastest drive I have ever crossed upon and even 1 HDD will give u blazing perfomance aith the reliability and excellent after sales warranty.

drvarunmehta

Wise Old Owl
I'll say it once again: THERE IS NO DIFFERENCE IN PERFORMANCE BETWEEN SATA I AND II.
Seagate drives are really, really reliable. Plus they come with a 5 year warranty. Why do you want to change your drive when there's nothing wrong with it?

OP
jay4u

jay4u

In the zone
can someone tell me price of SEAGATE 160 GB sata II 7200.9 drive with NCQ support.......... please

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom