URGENT!!!!!DVD ROM vs. DVD Combo Drives

Status
Not open for further replies.

vaibhav_vk

Right off the assembly line
I recently purchased a Samsung 16X DVD ROM Drive. But I am wondering which is better.....A standalone DVD ROM or a DVD Combo Drive with CD Writing capabilities too. The difference is a mere Rs. 1500 in cost. But I have also heard that Combo Drive's lens gradually tend to wear out and stop recognizing CDs or the CDs they write r full of errors.

So whosoever has used DVD Combo Drive, plz share ur experience and plz specify which brand and model u have.......

Also wanted to know which is better Samsung or LG with respect to DVD ROMs.......

Thanx

AlienTech

In the zone
You get a combo drive if you are out of slots. You get separate if you have the space. Its better to get separate drives even if they cost more mainly because if one stops working, the other still works. I see prices of rs500 or so more getting separate drives. Especially the problems with dust and containments in India, definitely better to get separate.

G

gxsaurav

I using a Samsung SM-352B combo drive from the last 1 year, no such probs ever, although my tar gave me problem ones

theraven

Technomancer
i just got a liteon combo drive .. happy with it ...
i have another dvd rom too ... which i will get rid off when i get a dvd writer ...
anyways back to the topic .... id still suggest u get standalone dvd rom and a standalone writer ... IF u arent plannin to go for a dvd writer anytime soon
its just better
combo drives ARE known to give problems more often than never

tuxfan

Technomancer
I suggest separate drives for both the purposes. I think I have posted the reasons at least 5 to 6 times in various threads here. Why don't you take a search? You will get your answers quickly. This topis has already been discussed many times earlier here.

ganesh8

Broken In
vaibhav_vk said:
I recently purchased a Samsung 16X DVD ROM Drive. But I am wondering which is better.....A standalone DVD ROM or a DVD Combo Drive with CD Writing capabilities too. The difference is a mere Rs. 1500 in cost. But I have also heard that Combo Drive's lens gradually tend to wear out and stop recognizing CDs or the CDs they write r full of errors.

So whosoever has used DVD Combo Drive, plz share ur experience and plz specify which brand and model u have.......

Also wanted to know which is better Samsung or LG with respect to DVD ROMs.......

Thanx

Combo would be a better option if you do not have a cd writer.

Samsung Combos are terrible and have got the worst reviews. You are better off with a LG or even better with a Liteon 52x combo which is the best option to read even some scratched cds or dvds

ice

In the zone
Ive currently got a HP DVD-CD -RW...its real nice.

Personally i wud have prefered a cd writer and a dvd. But. i seriously dont notice/feel the diff.

tuxfan

Technomancer
What happens when a Combo drive goes out of order? You have to replace the entire thing, even if only the part that writes CD is mal-functioning. Whereas, if you have separate drives, you can replace only one thing thats not working.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom