Upload/download speeds

Status
Not open for further replies.

[lokesh]

Journeyman
Just a small doubt guys,
Are uploads and downloads related to each other ?? Like say if i am downloading something at 20 kBps and simultaneously i start uploading something at around 5 kBps, does that affect the download speed to 15kBps ?? By the way i am using BSNL dataone.

drgrudge

Another Brick in the Wall
As far as i know, no it's not related to each other(atleast practically). I dont know abt dataone (which i have), but for hathway/airtel it's not related and they both are seperate.

But if u are downloading via p2p (bit torrent/ares/etc...) then the more u upload the more u can download, so in that way it's related.

Therefore it's not related to bandwidth, so u can get 32kBps max (on a 256kbps line) and upload some 4kBpbs, and ur download bandwidth will remain on 32kBps and not 28KBps.

technoteen

Journeyman
dont know abt ADSL technology (which dataone adopts)

but for the more general technologies like CAT5 cable, gprs and dial up, yes it affects the download speed. any given data link has a bandwidth limit, so the maximum data that can be sent through it is limited whether upload or download
that is the reason why we shift to adsl which gives larger bandwidth, then there is laser communication for satellites as well which have much larger bandwidth.

Kannan

In the zone
I agree with technoteen.

When a bandwidth is considered it accounts for both upload and download.

But generally Download stream has more bandwidth then the upload stream.

One of the major problem with ADSL is the efficiency decreases with increase in the distance between the switching center and the user.

OP
L

[lokesh]

Journeyman
Thanks for the reply guys... i had seen somewhere that the main difference between DSL[like airtel] and ADSL[like dataone] is that in DSL the bandwidth alloted to upload/download is the same and in case of ADSL it's different, and that's why we have Asymmetric[ADSL] and DSL is symmetric. Moreover i heard that the download bandwidth for downloads in Dataone is more than uploads...

technoteen

Journeyman
yes lokesh what you have heard about the download bandwidth being more than the upload bandwidth is perfectly true but it is not due to frequency used but due the fact in adsl the bandwidth can be controlled independently which is not the case with others

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom