1. Hey Guest Did you know you can win an Honor 10 phone worth ₹33,000 and an additional ₹70,000 in paytm vouchers, just by replying to some threads and taking part in the discussions happening in the Honor Hub?

What are you waiting for? Start commenting and start winning! Remember to read the instructions posted here.

Dismiss Notice

upgrade:what should i buy?

Discussion in 'QnA (read only)' started by Amit Prabhu, Aug 28, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Amit Prabhu

Amit Prabhu New Member

Hi every body, this is my first post over here although i am a digit fan and have been reading the magazine since its first issue.
    I am thinking of upgrading my cpu.. I want to buy a good graphic card.. minimum a gforce fx 5600 or ati radeon 9600 xt..
    i'll be selling the following components which i already have
    amd athlon 1700
    asus a7n266vm motherboard which had onboard graphics.

how much i might get with above two componets?
    I want to add 16k to it and buy new motherboard+ processor + a graphic card.. i want to go for amd athlon processor.. i am not upgrading ram and hard disk.. they are new..
    please suggest me a good motherboard model,processor and graphic card combination for my budget..
    can i go for a ati radeon 9800xt or a nvidia fx 5700 ultra with my budget?
    also i am in a dillema whether to go for ati or nvidia.. Please post in ur valuable suggestions..

2. blade_runner

blade_runner New Member

16k umm....that might be a little less considering that ur keen on a 9600xt. The 9600Xt costs 10.5k here. Also try to aviod the FX series in Nvidia. Going for a 9600pro for 8.5k makes sense. Also since 32 bit architecture is aging now, its better to go for a 64 bit proccy. So here my advice to you.

AMD64 2800+: 6.9k
    Gigabyte K8S760M Mobo - 6k
    Asus K8V: 6.8k
    Gfx card: 9600pro :8.5k

Comes to arnd 21k.

3. demoninside

demoninside New Member

ya it`s good to go for 64bit procy
    and adding 16+you`ll gee round 3-4 thousend depending.
    so i think 21k is reachable for u

4. OP
    OP
    Amit Prabhu

Amit Prabhu New Member

thnx blade_runner but is amd 64 bit processor really worth going for coz they are useless unless there is a 64 bit application that makes use of it.. for the near future will it make a difference? also if i go for a 32 bit processor then what combination should i go for?

5. Naga

Naga New Member

Athlon 64s are 32bit compatible so u can use it till true 64 bit apps r available. The costs are comparable to 32 bit proccies and the performance is also better. Plus, u r future proof. Get with it and get a 64. No use buying a 32 bit system unless u r on a tight budget or u if u require the pc for just net or regular usage.

6. blade_runner

blade_runner New Member

I guess naga answered ur Q's then..... :D

7. OP
    OP
    Amit Prabhu

Amit Prabhu New Member

what i was thinking was if i go for 32 bit µp so that i might end up with enough money to take radeon 9800 pro or even 9800 xt.. how about this combo?

8. theraven

theraven Active Member

sure
    its ur beef man... go for what u think is better
    yeah i tihkn gettin a better graphics card for the time being is a better idea than gettin a better proccy !!
    go for it ! if u can that is ... cuz the 9800 pro will cost u abt 14k ... and gettin a cheaper proccy / mobo combination will cut down abt 2-3k ... still dun think it'll fit ur budget ...
    tho i still strongly suggest and respect blade's suggestions .... think abt it .. im sure u'll be able to work something out in ur budget
    o yeah and i always suggest ASUS mobos whatever u go for ... :D
    cheers

9. blade_runner

blade_runner New Member

Rightly said. I'll tell u what wait for like a few days, atleast till the first week of Sept cuz there are going to be revision in the Club3d Ati card prices. I will let u know if there are any major changes. But u will be losing out on a gr8 deal for saving 2-3k.

10. OP
    OP
    Amit Prabhu

Amit Prabhu New Member

ya i am going to upgrade my pc after the first week of september. thnx bladerunner.. please inform if there are any price revisions..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.