Status
Not open for further replies.

pradeep_chauhan

Cyborg Agent
Hi Guys
What do you think is the performance boost one expects if he upgrades his RAM from 512 MB to 1GB all other parameters remaining the same.
OS= win XP or Linux
Processor = P4 2.4 HT
mobo ASUS P4P800-VM (Dual Channel)

demoninside

In the zone
Ya if u use s/w as oracle 9i, or IBM WSAD, or use vedio or image animation & editing.
any way normaly it also boost but u'll find out when u'll be using this.

OP
P

pradeep_chauhan

Cyborg Agent
Hey i mainly use linux+VMware(Win2000) + Metrowerks(an Embeded s/w developing IDE)
I ask this as the upgrade (2*256MB) will cost Rs 6000/- and this will fill up all DIMM slots.
What is the curve of performance boost Vs RAM size where does it flat out

Journeyman
having 1.5GB of RAM is like having Blue Gene/L at home not knowing how to utilize it.
In short, if u r not video/audio editor its of no use.

G

gxsaurav

U will see only about 5% speed increse in Windows & low loding times in games, that all, not required till March 2005

enoonmai

Cyborg Agent
Come on guys, he's using VMWare. He's bound to see a much much better performance when he's running it with extra memory. I'd say the difference in performance would be phenomenal. Its not just A/V and games and 3D/image design that benefit from memory. Complicated application development and VMWare saps your computer's resources like nothing else. I've used VMWare before, and it slowed my comp to a near grinding halt. I thought the HDD LED would never stop blinking. Performance boost vs. RAM capacity hits a plateau at around 2 gigs in your situation I guess. Of course, like they say, the more the better. But, the performance increase after two gigs wouldn't be much because the system pathways hit a bottleneck because of the CPU speed.

OP
P

pradeep_chauhan

Cyborg Agent
ok guys
so based on your inputs i got 2*256MB DDR 400 Kingston RAM today and am running the system with !GB of ram, the S/W Si soft sandra gives a minor boost figure but the working in VMware is much smoother thanks a ton for the valuable inputs.

ishaan

Padawan
q3a is good. also, for really-cool-game-testing...splinter cell:pandora tommorow, vice city, doom 3.

to check ur fps, type this in da console:
\cg_drawFPS 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom