Upgrade or buy a new 1 ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

MysticHalo

Your Maker.
I have a HP pAvilion that i bought back in 2k1. nOw its obselete. I have P3,256MBSDRAM, 30GB HDD,Intel 82810E motherboard (chipset actually),onboard graphics, a crAp CRT monitor,PCI slots---my question is, should i upgrade this or should i buy a new computer? Jus' look below for how my new computer should be or what upgrades i want in this and answer accordingly==>

NEW CPU Config.
AMD Athlon dual core processor
Socket 939 motherboard (maybe Gigabyte one)
1 GB DDR3 RAM
160 GB HDD {western digital caviar)
AtI X1600 pro
any sound card(better if onboard is there)
a power supply----400W atleast
Logitech gaming keyboard
Logitech MX518 mouse

Can any1 tell me how much this all is going to cost me?
=======OR========
Upgrading

XFX Nvidia GeForce FX 5200 PCI 256 MB.
120 GB HDD
512 MB SDRAM
Logitech MX518 gaming mouse

How much will upgrading cost me?

=========Your suggestion==========
so, what do u wise guys suggest, a new CPU or upgrading the same 1? And plz. list the cost of each product separately( if u know it) so that i know the difference in the expenditure :)

~HaLo~

shashanktyagi1

Journeyman
upgrade only if u love ur cabinet too much(that too i am not sure whether it would be able to hold the new stuff or not) get it assembled and sell ur old compu. many typists r upgrading these days in india and r using compu instead of typewriters. or sell it to some upcoming cyber cafe.

abhishek_sharma

Journeyman
i think u should buy new components and sell the old ones on online shops like www.ebay.in
no use buying 512 sd ram and agp card...since pci-e cards will offer better performance.
and with the kind of config u are thinking of buying...an upgrade will never match that performance.

also the price difference between your upgrade and new system which u plan to buy will b huge.

given below are the prices and the ultimate difference...

amd x2 - dual core processor => rs.27000/-
[actually, these processors are exoribantly priced at the moment, and u'll be better off buying say amd athlon64 3500+ for rs.10700]

a gigabye high end board [GA-K8NXP-SLI] will cost approx...rs.8750
[will support sli...can add 2 pcie graphics card based on nvidia chipset]
[NO ONBOARD GFX]

i dont knw what ddr3 ram module means...but kingston ddr2 ram is 9000/- bucks
ddr ram 1 gb[transcend] is 5000

seagate 160 gb sata is 4200

logiech mx518 - 4000
logitech g15 kybd - 4500

good 400w [vip] -1600

8 channel onboard snd

TOTAL-38800[W/O DDR2 N DUAL CORE N GFX CARD]/
42800[W/O DUAL CORE N GFX CARD]/59000[WITH DUAL CORE, W/O GFX CARD]

also AN ATI GFX CARD isnt in the list..will take config price higher...but i think the gigabyte mobo will only support nvidia chipsets gfx card if using sli tech...will have to buy 2 cards in tht case...very expensive again
BUT THEN U WILL HAVE TO BUY GFX CARD SINCE MOBO DOESNT HAVE ONBOARD VGA
###############################################

whereas upgrade will be much much cheaper...
gfx card - 4000
512 mb ram for p3 not available,
can do with 256*2 = 1850*2
mouse - 4000
120 gb ata hdd - 3500
TOTAL = 15200/-

so if budget is no concern then buy new components...since your upgrade will be nowhere near the new one.
a new config will b future proof too.

OP
MysticHalo

MysticHalo

Your Maker.
Ok thanks a lot abhishek
I'll probably go with a upgrade for my current CPU (just make it good enough so it lasts another year or 2)
actually,my real intention are to get a MOBO that supports Crossfire and then put X1900x2 into that....hehehehe...but thats costly :cry: ...and ooooohhh, that processor is also costly....intel eXtreme edition is much cheaper(should be around 15k) and comes at 3.8Ghz.

Anyways, for the upgrade,i'll need u guys to again help me a little. Just tell me a XFX dealer in gujarat. If not in gujarat, then plz. give me his e-mail id. I trid the HARWARE contact list but that din't work. It says the e-mail doesnt xsist.

THX again
~HaLo~

abhishek_sharma

Journeyman
you can try www.ebay.in for gfx card in case theyre arent available in ur city
but do check out the prices properly with other ppl coz sometimes ebay sellers do sell their products at a bit hiked price..[/url]

OP
MysticHalo

MysticHalo

Your Maker.
Yeah, i checked at ebay for the price of the XFX PCI card, it was Rs 4k without any bid. I think the prices r 2 high....i expected this outdated card to be around 2.5k-3k. I'm getting a nice AGp card for 4k in my city(but my silly Mobo doesn't have a AGP slot pure*c^rap

abhishek_sharma

Journeyman
MysticHalo said:
Yeah, i checked at ebay for the price of the XFX PCI card, it was Rs 4k without any bid. I think the prices r 2 high....i expected this outdated card to be around 2.5k-3k. I'm getting a nice AGp card for 4k in my city(but my silly Mobo doesn't have a AGP slot pure*c^rap

arey whats a pci gfx card...they are extinct now [..yah extinct, not even obsolete] i guess and cant be used for 3d gaming.
and if ur talking abt Pci-E gfx cards...then well they are latest kind of Pci slots...faster than agp slots
so if ur old mobo doesnt have an agp slot...it can never have a pci-e slot
pci-e slots is a feature tht only relatively new mobos have.
HENCE, U CANT ADD A GFX CARD TO UR CURRENT MOBO

Maneel

Broken In
I think you should go in for a new one.
Go to *NehruPlaceITHub.Com for the lowest prices-the site worked for me.

OP
MysticHalo

MysticHalo

Your Maker.
what damn........u dont know what a PCI card is.....ofcourse i can add a gfx card to my mobo----PCi is a type of slot.....yeah i know that's obselete....but not extinct......5200 FX can run all UT series well....that's enough for me ;)

EDIT: Nah, the site doesn't have much obselete things----hehehehe.....is there any such site for Mumbai ?

abhishek_sharma

Journeyman
ok really sorry...i used to think tht pci cards werent gud enuff for gaming hence agp cards made their way in and only they were available now.

and of course i knw what a pci slot and card is...used many of 'em[modem,tv tuner, ethernet]...but really didnt knw geforce fx 5200 was available in the pci version too

abhishek_sharma

Journeyman
hey i saw a geforce fx 5200 128 mb PCI gfx card on ebay for rs.2575+150 [postage] , at a buy it now price

click here for the item

its in the price range u were expecting..right!!
it even has a tv encoder built in and also a hardware mpeg2 decoder

OP
MysticHalo

MysticHalo

Your Maker.
actually, i want this card for the price i mentioned....:)
*tinyurl.com/z2bbm
8)

Thanks for finding another card for me.......but i dont think this one will be availabale at less than 4k, except a XFX dealer....
~halo~

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom