Upgrade HELPPPPPPP!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ante_climax

Right off the assembly line
I neeed an upgrade from my p4 1.6 ghz system as the ram and board has become obselete........I will like to spend as much as Rs 25000 iand 80 gb SATA hdd and 512 mb ddr 400 ram ...I want. But haven't decided on the Processor and Board yet shall i go for AMD 64 or Intel p4..........pls help.........................!

grinning_devil

Cyborg Agent
u need the foll config???....

80GB SATA HDD
512MB DDR400 RAM

HDD will be around 3200-3500,nd single chip of DDR400 RAM 512MB will be of 4000,though i'll recommend going for 2 chips of 256MB each..so that they can run at dual mode...

well deciding among AMD nd intel is TOUGHEST!!!!
to tell u the truth iam a die hard fan of AMD,my previous 3/4 pc's/upgrades r all of AMD...but the latest PC i assembled is of intel ...p4 3GHz...so its upto u to decide....

moreover if the budget is strictly 25000,then u cant spend on a good quality gfx card...so u need to pick up a mobo with onboard VGA....

icecoolz

Cyborg Agent
grinning_devil said:
u need the foll config???....

80GB SATA HDD
512MB DDR400 RAM

HDD will be around 3200-3500,nd single chip of DDR400 RAM 512MB will be of 4000,though i'll recommend going for 2 chips of 256MB each..so that they can run at dual mode...

well deciding among AMD nd intel is TOUGHEST!!!!
to tell u the truth iam a die hard fan of AMD,my previous 3/4 pc's/upgrades r all of AMD...but the latest PC i assembled is of intel ...p4 3GHz...so its upto u to decide....

moreover if the budget is strictly 25000,then u cant spend on a good quality gfx card...so u need to pick up a mobo with onboard VGA....

That is only the case if hes goin for an AMD 64 system. I dont see why people shoudl spend so much money on an AMD64 system when there arent even 64 bit OS's out there yet. 64 bit computing will become the norm in only 2 years time. And by that time SLI's , PCi-E, dual CPU's and DDR2 will also become the norm. So why go for a 64 bit system. Guys.....think b4 jumping the 64 bit bandwagon!

OP
A

ante_climax

Well i read many reviews from cnet i saw the AMD 3200+ Athlon and even the 3000+ Athlon outperforming prescott p4s! in leagacy 32 bit Benchmarks especially in Graphics. But as intel boards now with the 915 and later chipsets offering more features (hmm i doubt better perfomance than AMD cus just there were 2 many reviews) well then again is it stable the AMD platform and i too think that its still in its infatnsy period......as AMD is trying new sockets and all hmmm will it happen to me once again........well i am one of those lcuky duuds who bought the p4 willamette hehehhe.......or is it really time for an upgade as the new techies keep coming

funkymonkey

Journeyman
64 bit compatability if Athlon 64 is added bonus.
The processor is minblowingly fast even in 32 bit apps and games.
Not having 64 bit OS in no way hampers performance of Athlon64.
I will give you some numbers from personal experience.
Previously I had P4 2.6C overclocked to 3.25Ghz. And it was crunching out 108 FPS in CSS stress test at 1024x768, 4XAA, 8XAF with GF 6800GT of mine.
Now I have upgraded to Athlon64 3200+. At stock speeds this same graphic card at same settings is giving 127FPS. See how much the difference is.
If you want gaming machine Athlon 64 is a way to go.
P4 as of now has upper hand in 3d modelling softwares such as 3dsmax and maya and audio encoding where pure Mhz matters.
You have PCI express option for Athlon 64 too.
If you read the reviews you will see how much athlon64 outperforms Pentium4.
Read reviews at anandtech and toms hardware.
In games you will fing A64 3200+ outperforming 3.4 and in some cases even 3.6Ghz P4s.
And mind you 3200+ is only 2Ghz CPU.

pimpom

Cyborg Agent
I think everyone agrees that the A64 is a great CPU and that AMD has the upper hand in processor technology at the moment. If a buyer is not very price-conscious and always wants the latest and the best, then an S939 A64 would be the way to go.

But most of us have to balance price against performance, and 64-bit systems cost significantly more than, say, Athlon XP systems. Especially for those who have to make do with on-board graphics at least for the time being, there are still no 64-bit motherboards with on-board graphics that can even come close to an nForce2 IGP. For reasonable gaming experience, a separate graphics card is a must for a 64-bit machine.

Therefore, the difference in total cost between a 32-bit system and a 64-bit system can be much more than the cost difference between the CPU-motherboard combinations alone.

If one is thinking of future-proofing against the advent of 64-bit softwares, those are still a few years down the road, and by that time a current bleeding-edge machine will have become decidedly non-cutting-edge.

Conclusion : if cost is not a big factor for you, buy a 64-bit machine. If it is, go for a 32-bit system and spend the money saved on a good graphics card or something else you need.

liquid_nitrogen88

Journeyman
Especially for those who have to make do with on-board graphics at least for the time being, there are still no 64-bit motherboards with on-board graphics that can even come close to an nForce2 IGP. For reasonable gaming experience, a separate graphics card is a must for a 64-bit machine.

Thats holds true for each & every motherboard out there in the market whether 32 or 64 bit including the nForce 4 chipset.

if cost is not a big factor for you, buy a 64-bit machine. If it is, go for a 32-bit system and spend the money saved on a good graphics card

thats the fact none of the novice buyers r willing to digest.
if we tell a new buyer addicted to games but with a limited budget to get an athlonXP+9800PRO,he will consult someone else & finally buy a 64 bit with onboard graphics since he wants "the latest" & NOT "the best suited for his need & budget".

OP
A

ante_climax

Hmm guess i have to make up my mind quickly and guess its going to be ahrd. I hate this old meahcine. i want a new one...well i may be able to afford a reasonable Graphics card.....but i contacted local vendors these duuds dunn have AMD 64 939s and seems like intel is paying them as the newest prescotts are there. I amf rom Trivandrum, Kerala.........Dunno ne one in other states.....or cities like Delhi Mumbai or Chennai.....and i am worried abt gurantee probs.....if go out there on my own...........the last thing i want to do is having no other options but intel cos of this reason.....

geek_rohit

In the zone
Well buddy i would recommend to go for the Intel's camp since their 915 and 925 chipsets are just rocking , besides their mobos are too good. Go for as much RAM u could. Try getting two RAM chips of same size and frequency so as to get them working in Dual Channel Mode. This is goin to be quite a good performer. Try getting a board which gives u the option of DDR as well as DDR2. so that u can now add the DDR. And after some time when the DDR2 modules are cheaper go and get them. As for the GPU even I'm quite confused*. So apart from the GPU this would be my suggestion for u. And u can check my Post at the Hardware Discussion for the GPU queries.

* If U or any Digit reader would like to help please post ur message on the Hardware Discussion Forum where I have Postes my New Post. Hey guess what I have included a poll 'bout the Brand os GPU u have

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom