Update pack cache

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vivek788

In the zone
Hello I am a guy who regularly changes distros and install multiple distros over 2 hard-disks.
I change distros 4-5 times a week,sometimes,both new and old distros being installed.

In debian based distros,the packs that you download can be retrieved from /var/cache/apt/archives.
But I don't know how to get it in Fedora,OpenSuse,Vector Linux etc..Could someone please post a detailed way of backing up packs???
Without this I need to redownload packs and updates,especially media codecs.Also my friends share the packs that I download...

Possible

Custom User Title
For Apt or Aptitude package cache backup, you can use APTonCD.
*aptoncd.sourceforge.net/

And yum's cache must be under /var/cache/yum if am not mistaken.

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
Why do you do this? All this distro shuffling business?

Don't tell me that just because it is your passion, or hobby or interest. Surely you must have better things to do.

OP
Vivek788

Vivek788

In the zone
well I got my hands on new distros..so I try them out safely without harming my main distros tats all...

praka123

left this forum longback
hello Vivek!

Hello Vivek,

regarding ur original question: u can find the rpms by using the search tool in GNOME or Kde or by using from terminal as root or sudo:
Code:
~$sudo   find / -iname  *.rpm
^ and check the dir containing max no of rpms.this is the cache directory.also looking the file /etc/yum.conf may help where it stores rpms.
*tomayko.com/articles/2003/11/16/MinimalSystemBackups

I think You should settle with a distro u like inorder to learn and benefit from Open Source and Linux.

I think You are not new to Debian or Ubuntu.SO settle with one of these distros and learn by tinkering its configs-apt,dpkg and 20000+ packages.
OpenSuse may attract with its much better graphics and gui for once for a newbie.by default it installs loads of s/w which inturn are unusable.while Debian or Ubuntu or many other distros doesnt do the same.But the rpm and yum are yet to fix the job of managing the packages as effectively as Debian based distro's apt and dpkg(deb) does.
In future if ur much interested in Linux.U can take RHCE or LPIC.get urself secured @ smartcity kakkanad:D

OP
Vivek788

Vivek788

In the zone
u r right..praka123
I like debian based distros more..but that doesn't mean I allow other types to become a blind spot...and I have lots of hard disk space thats why I try all ..
And I am looking forward to a service oriented job involving hardware and linux...not sure about a stereoptype IT job....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom