unknown sound from hard disk

Status
Not open for further replies.

sysrq

Banned
hi friends!
recently i baught a new seagate 120 gb (ST3120827AS) hard disk, now when ever i use it it sounds , and this sound islike when come from tightening a screw, crck...........chrick.....chick.......
all the performance of drive is going fine and i love it s performance very much, but dont like is the sound,though this sound is nnnot loud and came to only when u come very near to cabinate{my ears are good }

i had told this to my retailer and he gave me a new one but DAMN! thats also sounding,
my system is:-
2.8c ht
2x512[ddr400-hynix];
d865gbf;
350 techcom psu;
well earthed home wirings;
that hard disk is connected to sata 0 slot on mobo;

so my query is that DO ANY ONE OF U GUYS EXPEREINCING\*ED THE SAME PROBLEM ,ALSO THE POSSIBLE AGE OF HDD LIKE THIS ONE,

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
i too hear sounds on my 80gb barracuda on pressing my ear on the cab, but thats only the read/write sound...

Sankalp

Journeyman
these sounds are not normal hdd sounds

first tell us

1 does ur cpu vibrate a lot or is it kept at a place where it is subjected to vibration

2 is ur hdd perfectly in horizontal condition and its screws tight enough?

FasTrack

Journeyman
With what u have described, this could be due to Friction.

Friction will be the last possible thing to think of but it is certainly not a point to forget.

The improper alignment and fixation of screws could as well be the reasons behind this.

Check them and post if there is some change.

AlienTech

In the zone
Sounds like a head crash. This is not good. Probably because of a blocked vent or something. The head travels on a few molecules of air and anything that prevents this will cause it to crash. It usually does not damage anything since the drives are designed for such things but it will cause read-write failures eventually. Sometimes the dirt will come loose and get trapped in the filter and the drive becomes okay again.

OR are you mistaking the sound of the heads moving from track to track? Which would be more like zoom zoom click click click instead of making your teeth clatter.

OP
sysrq

sysrq

Banned
my friend says his 80 GB sata also sounds when he disk defragmenter etc..
btw[same sound he is hearing]

my hard disk is in place & properly sitted To its slot,

there is no vibration in cpu{new info to me! ???javascript:emoticon(':?:')
Question???}
IT IS PLACE ON THE PERFECTLY STABLE PLAT FORM

every single usable screw in my cabinate is screwed properly,

ARE U GUYS TELLING ME THAT CAMPARING TO 40 GB ONE IF YES PLZ CHECK ,GUYS ;AS [80 GB + DRIVES HAVE 2+ HEADS , 2+ PLATTERS ],
IF NOT PLZ IGNORE IT.

cybershastri

Journeyman
Are you sure that the sound is from the hard disk? Because improper fit fans make such noise. Also a wire slightly touching the fan can make such noise. Also please tell us whether the sould comes continuously i.e. from the point you switch on your computer till the point you shut down or only during disk access?

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
did u read his post ?
he says that he hears it only when he presses his ear gainst the hdd cover of the cab...

Well, i think ur hdd isnt placed or mounted correctly try doing so...

digen

Youngling
Apart from all possibilities of components making a possible sound make sure it indeed is coming from the hard drive.The best possible way to eliminate all other possibilities would be connecting the hard drive to a different system alone & then monitoring for the sound you are experiencing.
If it still exists then I would suggest backing off the data as soon as possible & returing it for a exchange if under warranty period.
Although the drive is new as you say I hope it isnt suffering from the click of deaths syndrome.

*faq.storagereview.com/tiki-index.php?page=DeathClicks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom