UNIX

Status
Not open for further replies.

gauravnawani

Journeyman
Umm.. Its proprietary, are you sure you want this.
On last count I remember its SCO who use to sell the liscence for it.

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
Try FreeBSD , its almost same as UNIX,
Also u can contact ur college's admin for a copy of UNIX if they have one...

GNUrag

FooBar Guy
You cannot get hold of UNIX just like that. Its license is deadly costly that your college management will shake out. However if you are looking for UNIX clones then your college can order SunOS/Solaris or the ones offered by IBM/HP or others.

ujjwal

Padawan
^ Eh what does X Windows have to do with this? Most unix implementations I know support X Windows for sure. Anyway linux (especially something like slackware) is a nice replacement for unix, but if you want something more unixy, get hold of FreeBSD.

banned2wise

Broken In
Free BSD typically unix like thingy. I grabbed a copy of it and am still trying to read the handbook for installation docs. Damn, tough to install unlike other linux distros. Even worse than slackware, i wud say, coz slackware was there with me for a while. But man freebsd is something that i wanted to encounter for a long long time ...... its really complicated.

I should goto LQ , for most help :)

sba

Journeyman
Just don't read too much of that installation doc mate. It makes the installation look like a killer thing. It is not as tough as the installation manual makes it look like. I also made my own 20 pages installation manual and printed it out so that I could use it at the time of installation but it was not that tough at all. Just pop in the CD and start installaing...at the max you will mess up a partition...thats all ;)

vignesh

Wise Old Owl
I installed Ubuntu4.10 in custom mode.(i.e) no gui.How do I add the build-essential package so I can compile c programs.Also hoe do I add emacs package.

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
Well , i have this doubt for a long time, and tis foolish i spose, but HOW do u compile .c & .cpp in Linux
(FC4) ? i mean in turbo theres a opt to compile but in KDE C++ theres no opt...

vignesh

Wise Old Owl
Use any editor say vi or emacs.Save its as .cpp or .c

To compile use
g++ or gcc fn.cpp
or
g++ or gcc fn.c

to run

./a.out

To prevent warnings use
g++or gcc -Wno -deprecated fn.cpp

vignesh

Wise Old Owl
Same man.Just save it as c.By the way even C programs you can save it as cpp.No harm done.
g++ fn.c
./a.out
or
gcc fn.c
./a.out

vignesh

Wise Old Owl
I installed Ubuntu4.10 in custom mode.(i.e) no gui.How do I add the build-essential package so I can compile c programs.Also how
do I add emacs package.

ujjwal

Padawan
The a.out file you see is the executable file. You can specify the name of that file using the -o switch.

gcc -o fn fn.c
./fn

./a.out basically is telling the shell to execute the file a.out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom