Uniquely Identify your PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

rajesh_nk22

Journeyman
Hi,

I am working on logic to identify each pc uniquely, so that I can use this logic in Installers.

Is there any way by which we can Identify PC like BIOS NO, Hard disk No, CPU No etc.

But my doubt is, if we identify using above no, what if guy changes hard disk or CPU?

can anyone point me in right direction?

Thanks

OP
R

rajesh_nk22

Journeyman
I want to give licence of my software per PC ie after installation software will send above machine no to server, server will compare this machine id with our database to find out whether this is valid licenced copy or not and will accordingly proceed or deny access to software.

Hope this is sufficient..

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
There is a CMD utility called systeminfo. It doesn't give much of an 'info' really but it does show BIOS versions.

More on systeminfo - *www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/systeminfo.mspx?mfr=true

What you should be looking at is to generate a full sized report of the person's PC and look for unique stuff like Hardware-IDs and MAC addresses (Perhaps?).

He/She changes hardware or updates BIOS and such, then there is no go, activation will fail (Relative algorithms perhaps?) just like Windows' does. Maybe you can look for certain constant parts such as ROM/RW drives or sound chipset (If onboard) but there's nothing for sure which can guarantee you its the same old thing. Or atleast, that's all I know.

preshit.net

ex3n1us m4x1mus
Even if the hardware changes, the person can contact the above for a renewed/changed license.

My Dad's a foxpro programmer. He uses something like this for his programs. So if anyone formats his HDD, the program stops working and so myt dad goes again to install it and charges the installation :p

deepakg

Journeyman
if you are working in LAN, WAN then go for Physical Address of the ethernet card. It is the unique id of machine. It is also usefull when machine is standalone..Machine should hv ethernet card installed..
It really works.. in our area BSNL also using P'Id of machine to stop misuse of Broadband connection.
to see physical address..
Type cmd in Run Dialog Box.. type ipconfig/all and press enter..

Long ago i used this technique to stop piracy of own developed Doctor's software..

OP
R

rajesh_nk22

Journeyman
Thank you all.

I came across third party api which gives unique machine id for each machine, but after thorough testing I found, machine id changes whenever some new hard disk (external) or pen drives attached. 95% of times machine id was unique but still its not full proof solution.

I am planning to work on Physical Address of the ethernet card..

I will post results of this soon..

yashved

Broken In
rajesh_nk22 said:
I am planning to work on Physical Address of the ethernet card..

I think physical address is your best bet. Although that also can be changed but it is known to a very limited number of people.

By the way, you can also get that by typing "getmac" in Command prompt.... :)

Hope ur result will be pleasant one....

the.kaushik

œ∑´®†¥¨ˆøπåß∂ƒ©˙∆˚¬Ω≈ ç√∫˜
why dont you go for some other approach or registration .. like registration through your mobile number where each time you need to install your key will be send to your mobile... if you need to change your mobile number just call up or through online... If you use citybank account you may be knowing how they send authendication code... and afterwards if you want to change your mobile how you can do it..

deepakg

Journeyman
Go and use the Physical Address of Ethernet Card.. It is rough and tough solution to stop piracy.. There is no way to change Physical Address of Ethernet Card..
I searched a lot.. but I never found any trick to change physical address of ethernet card..that's why BSNL is also using this technique..
Hope you will find better results from it..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom