"uninstalling XP???"

Status
Not open for further replies.

sakumar79

Technomancer
I am not sure, but this is based on some previous experiences and some googling...

1. You can format the partition containing WinXP. If you then restart the computer and insert the Win98 CD, you can reinstall 98 over itself (registry and other programs should be left intact)...

2. According to *www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/thread-611596.php if you boot with Win98 CD and then type sys C:, your MBR will be taken over by Win98 (havent tried this myself). Then, you can format WinXP partition without a problem...

Hope this helps...
Arun

PS: ALWAYS backup your data in case anything goes wrong. Remember Murphy's Law: If anything can possibly go wrong, it always will.... And it only rains on those days that you forgot to bring your umbrella :)

d

Journeyman
mm you want to replace xp with 98? i think u might need a re-format as xp runs in NT file system(NTFS) and 98 runs in FAT32. If you chose to run XP in FAT32 when u installed, you can thank your starts and reinstall xp. but then i don't see the point anyway, as even if most program files are left intact, they need the registr entries to run....and when you reinstall, it's farewell to the registry. so maybe you can save the keys pertaining to your programs and then apply them after you install 98.

OP
N

neenaoffline

Broken In
last time i loaded 98 the registry entries were left as they were
i am sure
ne ways i need a sureshot plan
and yes all my drives are FAT or FAT32 only

shwetanshu

Cyborg Agent
format the XP partition and then boot into dos and type fixmbr and then press Y, and i think that shud be enough

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
U can simply format the F: drive and can remove that XP.
It'll not affect ur MBR but the boot loader will remain at starting.

If u want to remove that boot loader too then either boot using windows 98 CD and give command: sys C: and then can safely delete 3 files form C: drive:

ntldr
ntdetect.com
boot.ini

OR

edit boot.ini file in C: drive and set the time = 0 and save the file, it'll hide that boot loader...

d

Journeyman
sorry mate i didnt read the question properly my reply is entirely out of context :oops: :lol: anyway, in that case, i agree with vishal gupta. all the best!

shivkumar

>>>>>Monkey Power
even if you dont have windows CD, just boot in windows 98 and type the following command
fdisk /mbr
format f:

and delete your boot.ini file
its done :D
ntldr and ntdetect.com doesn't affect the working of PC if you plan to use 98 only

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom