Uninstalling Linux (FC4) and partitioning XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner
Hey guys,

1.) I want to format my Seagate Barracuda 160 GB SATA HDD Having 2 OS --> Win XP Pro and Linux (Fedora Core 4) So that i can make partitions according to the following criteria in Win XP:

C: containing Program Files (Win XP)-----------------> 10 GB
D: containing My Documents (only MS office files) ----> 5 GB
E: containing My Music------------------------------> 25 GB
F: containing System Cache files (used by XP)--------> 2 GB
G: containing Games--------------------------------> 50 GB
H: containing Backup--------------------------------> 5 GB
I: containing Softwares (installed on the PC)---------> 20 GB
J: containing Linux----------------------------------> 20 GB

2.) Please tell me if I hv made efficient use of the 160 GB HDD Space provided to me. Any alterations are welcomed as it will guide me as well.

3.) Also, there is sumthing known as MBR wich has to be taken care of during formatting of the HDD. Since i hv Dual boot OS (XP and Linux) so i cant straight away Format the Entire HDD as it will create problems AFAIK (by reading sum threads related to MBR=Master Boot Record). So help me on this too.

4.) What shud i do abt the remaining space on my HDD?? Shud i be keeping Empty Unformatted partitions or Empty formatted (FAT32) partitions?

5.) I will be using the FAT32 type of file system to Format my HDD. My PC config is: pentium-4, 2.0 Ghz, 256 MB DDR266 (Hynix) RAM, nVidia GE force FX 5200 256 MB AGP card and a Seagate Barracuda 160 GB SATA HDD.

Awating replies.....

EDIT: Since i didint get any satisfactory replies in the Q&A section there fore im posting this querry here coz i hv to deal with the "mbr" querry..

Cheers n e-peace.....

mediator

Technomancer
hmmm extra space problem? Wow u made excellent partitions.
But i think 25 gb for music is less. Make it 35 gb. Extra remaining space can be used 4 testing purpose like setting vmware and insalling virtual OS. What say?
MBR is the first place the system looks for OS installed!
To remove fedora
1. Boot from Xp Cd...Press "r" 4 repair & at the command type "fixmbr"!!
2. Now from xp computer management....format the linux paritions with FAT32.
All done!
U then wanna destroy Xp too? ...then its ur choice...go ahead!

OP
ashu888ashu888

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner
@ mediator

1.) Hey is tat all tat i need to knw??? Cool man, its simple as given by ur description thanx a lot bro. U sure i dnt hv to worry abt anything more except for ur explaination ??

2.) Then i will do tat surely, and yes i hv VMware Workstation so plz tell me if my partitioning description is rite or wrong ? do i need to add anything more???

3.) Where can i get details abt this so called "Virtual OS", I knw abt virtual drive but this seems interesting too..

Awating Replies....

Cheers n e-peace...

Last edited:

Pathik

Google Bot
to my knowledge...the MBR is located in the 1st drive ie the primary Partition....in wich u have XP...so the unformatted space is located between wich partitions in ur pc.....and i think u should merge F,C,D

Last edited:
OP
ashu888ashu888

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner
@pathiks

Well as of now the XP, Sys Cache and my doc are merged into one. My main aim was to make the system cache work more effciently by providing it a separate partition so tat other s/wares get loaded up quickly and also due to this the Diks frag method helps in defragging the HDD more efficiently.. :)

Cheers n e-peace....

Sykora

I see right through you.
The master boot record is located in the first few sectors of each hard disk (you have only one). You can 't read/write to the MBR actively, the OS will do that for you. If you don't want to screw up your master boot record, it's best to have windows install first, and then let linux install grub.

mediator

Technomancer
@ashu888
Virtual OS is not something u wanna search for! On VMware u install any OS of ur choice........for that u allocate say 2 gb of space of ur fat32 partition....then that 2 gb becomes as a file and acts as a 2 GB virtual hdd for installed virtual OS. U then install fedora/XP anything on that 2gb v.hdd like u install normally. Try it out its fun!!

Neways U dont need to worry a lot. Chillax!! All i said is all u need to do.Forget about MBR! Ur partitions are excellent!!

OP
ashu888ashu888

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner
@ mediator

Hey thanx man, tats the way i love form u for removing my nervousness.. ;)

I will try this out in a week's time as i will backup everything i need and also im a bit busy with coll, but will surely post my results..

Cheers n e-peace...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom