Unbundle Internet Explorer

Status
Not open for further replies.

cheetah

In the zone
Hi i have found this piece of software to remove internet explorer version 3 upto 6 from windows 98,me.

The software link *www.litepc.com/download/IEradicator2001.zip

But i have one question.If i uninstall internet explorer will i be able to open digit cds,because they have asked for internet explorer in system requirements.

I want the autorum feature for digit cds.usually they open in internet explorer.If i uninstall it,will i be able to use mozilla firefox as default for opening these cds.

icecoolz

Cyborg Agent
I dont think you need to uninstall IE to check whether CD's will open up in firefox. Just make firefox ur default explorer and it should work. My yahoo mails now open up in firefox as I have made it my default browser. Will check it and let u know.

OP
C

cheetah

In the zone
The autorun file of digit cds contain this:-

[autorun]
open=begin.exe iexplore&-k CDREPLACEcode\mainframe.html

So the application to open the cds is iexplore,so if it was unable to find internet explorer.It will surely give an erro and i have to start cd manually which is a hassle.

Also minimum software requirements says:-
Software Requirements :
Minimum : Win9x, IE5
Recommended : Win9x, IE6, DirectX 9.0, Windows Media Player 9, Winamp 2.91

I can verify it by uninstalling the internet explorer but i encounter some problems while installing internet explorer so i can,t take the risk of uninstalling it.

Please verify if i am saying right.

tuxfan

Technomancer
You can simple try and run the mainframe.html file with firefox and see. So what if it doesn't autorun, YOU can run it :)

lamrinnirmal

Journeyman
hmm......i don think its advisable to unbundle it. the normal explorer used by windows is the IE and messenger always opens the mail in IE. if you dont like it dont use it.

Tech&ME

Banned
ya i agree with lamrinnirmal there is no point in uninstalling IE, if u don't like to use it don't use it as your default browser.

G

gxsaurav

IE is required by windows to properly work, if u want to remove IE then remove it from the add/ remove windows components list, it will remove IE but not the IE engine, then set FF as your default browser

ujjwal

Padawan
You can use 98Lite to set the "Chubby" shell as I have done, this will remove IE integration from the desktop, but you can still use IE for browsing.

BTW, if you want to completely remove IE, go ahead (you will need to have a win95 cd for that, to use the older shell). CD's won't autorun, but you can manually browse them.

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting
i have try it with winXP..... by removing IE & installing Fire fox, digit CDs does open in Fire fox.... but in win98..... u tell us...

OP
C

cheetah

In the zone
Hi,

The software i recommended has two options.First is to remove internet explorer and leave sheel integration as it is.The second one is to remove shell integration like sidebar and webview in folders also.Which i don,t recommend.

Also the cds don,t autoplay now.I am using Windows Me.

Now i have to reinstall it.

I don,t understand the pount that cds autoplay in firefox in windows xp,after uninstalling internet explorer.Then why not in windows 98,ME???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom