unable to share files between two PCs

Status
Not open for further replies.

tech_cheetah

Journeyman
I am unable to copy the shared files on from one PC to other thru a LAN cable ..
It shows the shared folder in the workgroup 'MSHOME' and also shows the shared folder on each of the PCs .. I am even able to connect thru the RDC on each of the PCs .. but when i try to access the shared files it gives all sorts of errors like "the server is not started" or "the RPC failed" or "the source is no longer available" ..
I have started up all the necessary services on both the PCs .. turned off the firewall on both .. But still the same problem
Does anybody know what i am missing ..

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting
Make sure non of the PC has any virus, and All Firewall is truned of... Turn of the AVS too...

Make sure they are on Same Work group...

now, in both PC, turn off the simple file-share...

Go to tools and then Folder option,

*www.intelliadmin.com/blog/images/Windows-XP-SP2-File-Sharing7.jpg

Now Go to the view tab. Scroll down and make "Use simple file sharing" unchecked.

*www.intelliadmin.com/blog/images/Windows-XP-SP2-File-Sharing8.jpg

!!!

Now share the every drive with Full allowed Permission.... Note that Share name X$ (where x is the drive letter) is default share and must be turned on... :)

*img520.imageshack.us/img520/2562/sharegl2.jpg

Now Click on New Share, give a name, go to permission, and allow full control to every one !!!!

*img156.imageshack.us/img156/3690/share1fl1.th.jpg

Once u do it, set up the network, like this, on both PC

Go to Network connection, Right click on LAN Connection ICON go to Properties...

*www.doorersathi.com/Digit/Network/Pic_02.JPG

Now go to TCP/IP settings

*img520.imageshack.us/img520/2029/tcpvf6.jpg

and Enter IP range as this,

IP Address - 192.168.0.1 (192.168.0.1 for the server and 192.168.0.xx for the Nods)
Subnet Mask - 255.255.255.0
Default GetWay - ur ISP getway address if u are sharing net too

DNS Address - For Server its the ISP address.. for NODs enter 192.168.0.1
ALT DNS Address - For server its the ISP DNS.. for NODs Leave it blank

:) restart the systems, double check all settings like Firewall, IP address, Ping Both from each other !! and try to access now...

OP
tech_cheetah

tech_cheetah

Journeyman
The problem is still there .. it opens the shared folders sometimes .. and next second it says "the resource is no longer available" or "RPC failed" or "Server not started'
:(

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting
As I said, Make sure, No virus, please run a HijacThis scan on both PC and Attch or Post the log file here, :) also No Firewall / AVS (Due to som avs's Network procetion) is running....

also Check the Service settings on both PC, is there any needed Service is stoped or not...

NucleusKore

TheSaint
Please turn of any internet connections for safety, and uninstall the firewalls in both systems, reboot, and then do the above steps

OP
tech_cheetah

tech_cheetah

Journeyman
got the culprit ..
there was one option which i unchecked and it is working now ..
In My Computer -> Properties -> Computer Name -> change -> More -> " Change Primary DNS suffix when domain membership changes "

Thanks - Choto Cheeta

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting
tech_cheetah said:
It shows the shared folder in the workgroup 'MSHOME' and also shows the shared folder on each of the PCs ..

strange as u said u were in WorkGroup Network.. !! What were u doing at Domain controls ??

anyway never mind, as ur problem got solved. !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom