unable to play dat files

Status
Not open for further replies.

whoopy_whale

Journeyman
All of a sudden,my friend's computer doesn't play video files i.e Windows Media Player doesn't read those .dat files.It says no filters are available to render the stream.Power DVD also says there are no decoders to play the file.
Help plz....

swatkat

Technomancer
reinstall DirectX.....
*www.microsoft.com/windows/directx/default.aspx?url=/windows/directx/downloads/default.htm

get GSpot and use it to analyse the file, it shows which codecs r needed to play files....
*www.headbands.com/gspot/

enoonmai

Cyborg Agent
Umm, I dont mean to sound crazy or something, but are you sure what you're trying to play is a video stream? Not all .dat files are video streams. Just wondering out loud. Sorry if it upset you. :D If its a valid video file, then GSpot will pretty much tell you what you need to install. Just follow swatkat's links.
Also download the K-Lite Codec Pack, its pretty much got all the codecs you want, and then some more. :D

*www.k-litecodecpack.com/

Ethan_Hunt

Aspiring Novelist
also now even i dun wanna sound crazy or sometin.....but correct if i am wrong but arent .dat supposed to be the Mpeg 1 compression video files which as far i know rarely require codec and stuff.....havent heard of any such codec requirement while playin a .dat files yet :?

anyways had posted a solution for this similar sotra prolem in a thread sometime back.....btw will try and look up for it :wink:

Edit:well kinda found this one out in a hurry for now....check out Microsofts explaination for this probs *support.microsoft.com/kb/842185

enoonmai

Cyborg Agent
Now whoever talked about codecs for playing .dat files? :D All I said was that if it WAS a valid video stream and it couldn't be played, then follow swatkat's link, get GSpot, analyze the file to check if its really a .dat file or some other type that needs a codec install, and if it did, then get K-Lite. And yes, you're not crazy, and VideoCD files are MPEG1 related. :D

Ethan_Hunt

Aspiring Novelist
enoonmai said:
if its really a .dat file or some other type that needs a codec install, and if it did, then get K-Lite.
well here i just gotta add that if other type of .dat file meaning other than movie file then i doubt it requiring codec or rather even a Media player to play it :lol: :lol: but anyways let him oughta try it....i guess theres no harm in that :lol:

enoonmai said:
And yes, you're not crazy, and VideoCD files are MPEG1 related. :D

Thank god that sure was a reliever :wink:

beaditya

Journeyman
had the same damn prob,...........if u use internet ,the u shud always have a ghost image ready to install ...................all these prob bcoz of the viruses...............i always have em

swatkat

Technomancer
yeah..those "filter errors" r related to DiretShow (an unit of DirectX)... :)
if DirectShow gets corrupted, then "filter" errors occur....

suj_engico

Broken In
TELL UR FRIEND TO USE A 'XING PLAYER'
IT IS A SMALL PLAYER BUT I ASSURE U THAT IT CAN PLAY ALMOST ANY FORMAT.
PROVIDED IT MUST BE USING PROPER CODECS & MUST BE AN UPDATED VERSION.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom