unable to play any video in ubuntu 7.04

Status
Not open for further replies.

saurabh kakkar

D i s t i n c t l y Ahead
hi
i m unable to play any video even the Experience ubuntu.ogg either in Mpalyer and totem in my ubunut 7.04. i m able to hear sound only and that too in totem

plz help me i have installed all the restricted packages but all in vein :(

this is the second time that i started totem to play any video last time was when i installed ubuntu nd that time it worked like charm

saurabh kakkar said:
hi
i m unable to play any video even the Experience ubuntu.ogg either in Mpalyer and totem in my ubunut 7.04. i m able to hear sound only and that too in totem

plz help me i have installed all the restricted packages but all in vein :(

this is the second time that i started totem to play any video last time was when i installed ubuntu nd that time it worked like charm
bug in XV.
use xshm

saurabh kakkar said:
what this plz elaborate
I faced a similar problem. The X-Video Driver may be corrupt. Try setting the video driver as xshm in each program you use for video playback. I got this tip from Xine's website, and it worked.

OP
saurabh kakkar

saurabh kakkar

I have been able to solve my Mplayer problem by using this :

Code:
 How to fix black windows during video playback

* There is a workaround to this bug by changing the video output device on your video player to x11/xshm. (Note that this will decrease the quality of the video output and requires a lot more CPU.) 

* For gstreamer-dependent players (Totem, etc.): 

gstreamer-properties
Video-->Default Video Plugin: X Window System (No Xv)

* For MPlayer (if installed): 

Mplayer-->Right-click on the screen-->Preferences
Video-->Available Drivers: X11 (XImage/Shm)

but i m unable to solve my totem problem coz i m unable to locate
Code:
gstreamer-properties
plz help

Last edited:

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
For setting xshm I think this should be more than enough to help you out.

*xinehq.de/index.php/faq#XFREECRASH

OP
saurabh kakkar

saurabh kakkar

^^ thanks man i found the xorg.conf but i m not able to save changes it says read only now when i try to change its preference it says u r not owner whereas i m the owner

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
Im not sure I understood that but are you sure you using the terminal to open the file like sudo gedit /filename ? In the above link it explains hwo to change xv to xshm using a simple command Im not sure why you are editing xorg.conf . Maybe I overlooked something. You might want to check with MetalheadGautham for further help since he had the same problem :)

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
saurabh kakkar said:
^^ thanks man i found the xorg.conf but i m not able to save changes it says read only now when i try to change its preference it says u r not owner whereas i m the owner
sudo gedit etc/X11/xorg.conf

or

sudo nautilus

this will give the file manager root prvilages.

coolpcguy

Resistance is Futile.
^^ The correct way should be
Code:
gksudo gedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf
or

Code:
gksudo nautilus

sudo is *only* for console apps.

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
^^ The correct way should be gksudo gedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf

I think I misundersood but sudo works fine on gedit or at least thats what I use to edit menu.lst and xorg.conf and any other files that need to edit. or are you saying that in a semantic sense as in gksudo should be used instead of sudo since its safer? Im just confused with this sudo and gksudo I guess.

kalpik

In Pursuit of "Happyness"
sudo sometimes sets wrong permission on some files if you run GUI apps through it..

OP
saurabh kakkar

saurabh kakkar

thanks everyone for there imp reply i have partially solved my solved by this command in terminal :
Code:
gstreamer-properties

nd then selcting no Xv as output

now he problem is that picture appears in slow frames will try to solve this :)

saurabh kakkar said:
thanks everyone for there imp reply i have partially solved my solved by this command in terminal :
Code:
gstreamer-properties
nd then selcting no Xv as output

now he problem is that picture appears in slow frames will try to solve this :)
Good thing I told you that XV is a trouble maker I guess...:cool:

XSHM does have problems in speed, thats what Xine told me. But I am trying to manage with it till I upgrade to Ubuntu 7.10 OR Mint 4 OR Fedora 8 OR Xubuntu 7.10.

Even you should concider upgrading your Distro.

Meanwhile, I suggest you install Xine and mess around with each available driver for video and find which works best, and hopefully it will help me too. Just select the master of universe option for displaying all the settings available.

PS: gxine Sucks:-x

kalpik said:
Why don't you just install totem-xine and libxine1-plugins?
totem-xine also sucks. It has no advanced features. It lacks post processing. Its just too crippled to offer the functionality Xine Engine gives. There is no reason hence, to install totem-xine. Just keep your stupid gstreamer.

kalpik

In Pursuit of "Happyness"
MetalheadGautham said:
totem-xine also sucks. It has no advanced features. It lacks post processing. Its just too crippled to offer the functionality Xine Engine gives. There is no reason hence, to install totem-xine. Just keep your stupid gstreamer.
Hmm.. Isnt totem-xine the xine engine itself!

kalpik said:
Hmm.. Isnt totem-xine the xine engine itself!
no. its just totem movie player which runs using the xine engine. So it has the exact same features as totem movie player, which btw, is very simple and only for very basic use. It does not have postprocessing, the life saver of Indians.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom