Ultra-fast internet connection???

Status
Not open for further replies.

aditya1987

Extheist
Hi friends..

I regularly go to a cyber cafe. I usually go there to download files. I get around 130-140 kbps while downloading files with flashget. When I asked about the connection speed form cybercafe owner, he told me that he has 256 kbps home plan from BSNL. I told him that you cannot get 130-140 kbps form 256 kbps line, you can only get 30-35 kbps. He laughed and told me that he is using a device called "Router".

Can anyone tell me is it possible to get such a high speed in 256kbps line and what the hell is "router".... :?

jack// ani

In the zone
Cafe guy was making you foll.....how can a router increase the speed!!! You said...you are getting speed of 130-140kbps, then whats wrong!! You can get max download speed of 30-35KB/s.....Hope you understand the difference between *b* and *B*.....

Ravi+ish

Journeyman
the bsnl guys said... it's not illegal in anyway!!!
They said... the cafe will be offering lower quality service with home plan.. that's it!!!

And... the modem that is given by the DataOne service or any other so-called ADSL modem is the router.

The DataOne Speed varies just like it does in dial-ups!! WHen u start downloading nething... it's 12-15 kbps (in dial-ups) and decreases to around 3-5kbps. In Bband... its starts with 130-140kbps... and then decreases and stabilzes to 30-40kbps!!

Also, I'll like to quote... the sify Bband serv. is much better than DataOne... I donno much about the speed diff.. coz... i used it in cafes only. It was around the same thing given by DataOne.
But, the link is not always there... i donno... whats the prob.... but sometimes.... it stops..... for some minutes... that does not happen with sify!!

Plz share ur experience on this one!!!

----------------------------------------
*ravishchandra.blogspot.com

shoegoe

Broken In
Ravi+ish said:
The DataOne Speed varies just like it does in dial-ups!! WHen u start downloading nething... it's 12-15 kbps (in dial-ups) and decreases to around 3-5kbps. In Bband... its starts with 130-140kbps... and then decreases and stabilzes to 30-40kbps!!

Hey... I think u messed up with kbps thing..

Anywaz To make it clear

*BSNL Offers 256kbps broadband right?? ie BSNL Offers 256/8=32KBps .. Got it?

It means that the maximum speed attainable would be around 32KBps.

In dial up, we get connected at 33.6kbps or 44.0kbps(comp) ie 33.6/8=4.2KBps or 44.0/8=5.5KBps

So the average speed in dial up would be around 3-5KBps

Kbps-Kilo bits per second. ..... KBps-Kilo Bytes per second..

1 MB = 1024KB
1KB=1024 Bytes

Better check *romulus2.com/articles/guides/misc/bitsbytes.shtml to get your self clear

Hope i am simple and correct....

teknoPhobia

t3h g04t
Actually, for any network connection, you also have to take into account the paroty and stop bits which tend to add to the overhead....thus on a 100kbps line you would actually be getting approximately 10-11KBps and not 12.5 KBps

I

invisible

wtf stop it.............he is telling 130-140KB/s

hey we can get such speeds by flashing the ADSL modem chip.

and also if we change some settings in modem(router) we may get such speeds.

siriusb

Cyborg Agent
hey we can get such speeds by flashing the ADSL modem chip.

and also if we change some settings in modem(router) we may get such speeds.
What you say work on 56k modems. But in ADSL, the speed limit is set at the ISP's server end. Not at the modem level. That is why you can change your plan without flashing or changing your modem.
I've heard of flashing/shorting of pin, etc on adsl modems, but at the max, they may unlock some hidden option that you can set.

And aditya, what sized files were you downloading? Small sized files may complete before the rate display algorithm "settles down" from the initial burst from buffer. Check a speed test site to be sure.
And I am pretty sure that the cafe-walla has a business plan. He would not have been given a home plan.

legolas

Padawan
siriusb is absolutely right. however, cable modems can be tweaked and be used to the fullest potential.. ADSL/DSL connections.. i dont think u can for the reason told above. i even found a software for tweaking cable modems and that they went in trouble with releasing that sort of a software and tehn they hav won against it and come back!! however, if the isp finds out... then we ll be blacklisted. cant help it thou.

with regard to the problem above, unless its a small file as siriusb said.. it cant be downloading @130. impossible with 256 DSL conx.

a news with reg. to cable modem is here :d

/legolas

yrana2002

Ambassador of Buzz
Well, it happens with some download managers. For rg:

I use DAP which has options for swapping between controlled bandwidth, unlimited bandwidth usage, etc.
So as soon as i choose the option of unlimited, the window suddenly shows up 400-600KB/s but however, my downloads are incrementing by just my normal d/l speeds, i.e. 30KB/s or increase of .03MB/s.
So, i guess, its just a bug of the software. :wink:

h_kunte

Journeyman
well yes...yrana2002 said it right.....Even in the "unlimited bandwidth" option in DAP, it might show shattering speeds, but then the d/l continues at the same normal speed.....The speed shown in DAP is all sh*t & doesnt mean much...

BTW, great xplanation siriusb & legolas....

HK

Ravi+ish

Journeyman
shoegoe said:
Ravi+ish said:

Hey... I think u messed up with kbps thing..

Anywaz To make it clear

*BSNL Offers 256kbps broadband right?? ie BSNL Offers 256/8=32KBps .. Got it?

It means that the maximum speed attainable would be around 32KBps.

In dial up, we get connected at 33.6kbps or 44.0kbps(comp) ie 33.6/8=4.2KBps or 44.0/8=5.5KBps

So the average speed in dial up would be around 3-5KBps

Kbps-Kilo bits per second. ..... KBps-Kilo Bytes per second..

1 MB = 1024KB
1KB=1024 Bytes

Better check *romulus2.com/articles/guides/misc/bitsbytes.shtml to get your self clear

Hope i am simple and correct....

:D :D :D :oops: :oops: I AM SORRY.... u r right... absoluetly.... just a mistake typing.... i guess i shud have been more careful there!!!! SORRY!!!! :oops: :oops: :oops:

I

invisible

siriusb said:
What you say work on 56k modems. But in ADSL, the speed limit is set at the ISP's server end. Not at the modem level. That is why you can change your plan without flashing or changing your modem.
I've heard of flashing/shorting of pin, etc on adsl modems, but at the max, they may unlock some hidden option that you can set.

And aditya, what sized files were you downloading? Small sized files may complete before the rate display algorithm "settles down" from the initial burst from buffer. Check a speed test site to be sure.
And I am pretty sure that the cafe-walla has a business plan. He would not have been given a home plan.
ADSL maximum speed is 8MBPS .
what u say is true for airtel .donno about bsnl.i think it is set at the modem end. 8)
again dont confuse he is saying 140KB/s not 140 kbps

@yrana
he is using flashget and there is no unlimited bandwidth options in flashget.so whatever he is saying is absolutely true.

@aditya
tell me how much time it is taking for u to downlaod 100MB file?
On normal 256kbps line @ 30KB/s it shud take 60min
On 256kbps line @ 130KB/s it shud take 13min :p

legolas

Padawan
invisible, in DSL/ADSL i am pretty sure that its set at the other end.. and not in the modem side... if possible cud u tel me any site which holds tutorial for this sort of breaking of BW for DSL/ADSL case? atleast not tutorial but a case where ppl got screwed up for doing so?

however, u asked the right question, that shud solve the problem! :)

/legolas

Ravi+ish

Journeyman
The speeds that are given depends upon the provider ONLY, i think. First of all the technology that they are using. If they are using the first generations ADSL technology, then the maximum that theycan offer is 8Mbps.
AND, if they have implemented the ADSL 2+ they can offer 24Mbps to the MAX.

After that comes the plans that the providers offer. There the speed varies again!! I hope i don't have to say anything about this here anymore... i mean abt the diff. speeds that are given by providers!

[EDIT] Also, the upload limit on ADSL is 1Mbps.

And, there are no flaws regarding the MBps and Mbps here on this post!! :D

legolas

Padawan
:D well.. i think then u hav to pacify urself that the hub owner fooled u that he has a 256 kbps conx. that is the only way i find for ur question!! :D

/legolas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom