Ubuntu's new partner "Linspire"

Status
Not open for further replies.

~Phenom~

The No.1 Stupid
There is a news for u guys , I really donno if its good or not as I love Ubuntu but somewhat dislike Linspire , But they say its a real good news. Lets see how it goes....

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]This week, Linspire and Canonical, the lead sponsor of the popular Ubuntu operating system, announced a technology partnership that will integrate core competencies from each company into the other's open source Linux offerings. This is very exciting news for both Linspire and Ubuntu users. Through this sharing of technology and working together, all users will benefit from quicker release cycles and expanded features, products and services.
[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Linspire is well known for the quality of the CNR technology, and Ubuntu is the most successful community Linux project to date. The marriage of these two efforts will greatly strengthen desktop Linux in its fight for broader adoption. Both of these distributions will improve significantly through this collaboration.

source: *www.linspire.com/linspire_letter_archives.php?id=40
[/FONT]

techtronic

I Always Prefer 1080p
Well I installed Linspire v 4.51 and liked it :D
I installed Ubuntu 6.06 LTS, liked that too :)

So no complaints

OP
~Phenom~

~Phenom~

The No.1 Stupid
techtronic said:
Well I installed Linspire v 4.51 and liked it :D
I installed Ubuntu 6.06 LTS, liked that too :)

So no complaints
users like u are very rare who like both ubuntu and linspire as both are different concepts and denotes different choices..

Last edited:

subratabera

Just another linux lover.
Soon many small Linux variants will combine and form THE ULTIMATE LINUX DISTRO. Then who will save M$???:)

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
good atleast finding & installing application is better now. But still it needs to provide application features similar to Windows to even face MS seriously in desktop market

kalpik

In Pursuit of "Happyness"
^^ That is very subjective.. I can give you a gazillion apps which dont have any counterpart in windows..

rajasekharan

Youngling
not really 3ds max still dont have a counter part in Linux . so is softimage XSI . well you can say blender and maya . but those who work with max will find it difficult to work on other . its like another world to them . its ok for music players and others but not for 3d. but all in whole Linux is the best for 3d. most cluster servers run Linux and thanks for maya :).i am hopping for max to port to Linux , but i know it wont :-(.

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
subratabera said:
Soon many small Linux variants will combine and form THE ULTIMATE LINUX DISTRO. Then who will save M$???:)
Exactly. At least this is what they should aspire to do. The existence of thousand different operating systems is the biggest hurdle in Linux gaining mass acceptance IMHO.

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
kalpik said:
^^ That is very subjective.. I can give you a gazillion apps which dont have any counterpart in windows..

Ok, I would like to ask for the alternative of some of the apps I use on Windows. There are not pro apps, just normal ones

1) Yahoo Messenger - GAIM is available, but it doesn't support Webcam or Voice chat

2) ACDSee 9 Image Manager, not just viewer

3) K-lite codec pack

4) MyphoneExplorer

5) outlook 2007 PIM, thunderbird is just mail client

6) Snagit

7) WinRAR

if possible, point me to compatible Slax module :D plz

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
aryayush said:
Exactly. At least this is what they should aspire to do. The existence of thousand different operating systems is the biggest hurdle in Linux gaining mass acceptance IMHO.
The variety is the spice of the OS. There shouldn't be just one linux but there should be various flavours, with homogenity at base level that makes it consistent to develop apps across various distros without end user needing to bother much about dependancies.

gx_saurav said:
1) Yahoo Messenger - GAIM is available, but it doesn't support Webcam or Voice chat
gyach enhanced. But don't expect full compatibility cos Yahoo messenger is a proprietory software and they don't disclose anything to the OSS developers, latter have to figure it out. Same goes for any proprietory software/hardware.

gx_saurav said:
I don't use this as such so not much idea. But, in linux world people like to keep softwares dedicated for just one use, not multiple uses. Different apps for image viewing, editing, etc.

gx_saurav said:
3) K-lite codec pack
win32codecs and gstreamer-plugins-*

gx_saurav said:
4) MyphoneExplorer
what's this? I guess gnokii does this job.

gx_saurav said:
Kmail, evolution

gx_saurav said:
6) Snagit
???

gx_saurav said:
7) WinRAR
unrar + ark

if possible, point me to compatible Slax module :D plz[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

The Outsider

Beneath The Eyelids
doesn't sounds like a really good news to me, maybe soon we would see Linbuntu, debian based paid os with all non-free packages, paid tech support and updates like SLED :lol:

btw, alternative to snagit = Ksnapshot

freebird

Debian Rocks!
gx_saurav said:
Ok, I would like to ask for the alternative of some of the apps I use on Windows. There are not pro apps, just normal ones
6) Snagit
7) WinRAR
2)F-Spot
imgseeker,p0rnview
5)kdepim,evolution,iceape/seamonkey Internet Suite,ilohamail
6)gtk-record-my-desktop,istanbul,wink
7)rar and unrar already available-integrated with guis like file-roller
And remember almost all are free(i meant "rar")-as in freedom:eek:
not sharewares and other umpteen *wares:D as found in windows
@gxsaurav:
for more open source alternatives for win32 softwares mainly in Linux do check *www.osalt.com
as i believe u may be shifting urself to FLOSS and GNU/Linux.Best of LUX :))

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom