Ubuntu too sucks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aijaz Akhtar

Journeyman
1. You cannot log in as root when you open it. All copying and pasting of files, creating of files that need Root permission have to be done in console.
2. Even in gnome, double clicking is required to open any thing even in File browser. It does not show the content just when a folder is selected, as in Win.
3. You cannot install ANY software unless you use apt-get and are connected to the internet. A deb file downloaded cannot be installed even through dpkg, it throws too many errors.
4. I have been getting lot many tips in Ubuntu and various other forums, NONE has worked so far.
5. My RIM connection too did not work despite getting detailed hints from a RIM user. In my case modprobe uhci gave fatal error: "FATAL: Module uhci not found."
6. For that matter, I cannot connect to the internet any other way too, there is nothing like KPPP that can be configured for the dial up at office or ADSL Data One at home at my home at Hyderabad. There is nothing available in gnome GUI.
7. There is no GUI to check the partitions. QTParted is not available even in the repository. In an office system, I had XP and Xandros, and when I installed Ubuntu, it has veryy wisely retained XP and Xandros. But which partitions hasn what cannot be seen. In KDE, the Konquerer has the device panel where we can see all the hda partitions.
8. I could configure locales and interface in Hindi and Arabic/Persian work fine in gnome menu only. But not iin OpenOffice. There the menu bar too shows all rectangles. Though under each language, havee configurd fonts. And yes, I have run reconfigure locales umpteen number of times.

Does only being fast make the Ubuntu distro as awardable???????
For that matter I find Vector Linux and Yoper faster too. Yoper specially has many features installed by default. Though the Yoper I had had an older kernel, and when I installed it, I could not configure fstab and grub/lilo for dual boot. But I was greatly impressed by its looks and speed. Any Yoper user here to comment?

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
Man !

Seein ur threads and topics , i feel that u can be a good proggrammer if u manage to cure these probs in the linux community .

P.s. - LNX is free, so no money and no proper OS - thats y windows costs 7000/-

cool_dude_prav

In the zone
vignesh said:
Ubuntu is a real tough core OS.It just needs a lot of custormization after installation.

You can say that again!!!

Just remember, dont fall for these stupid distros that come with pre-installed pkgs and think they are greater becoz Ubuntu does not have it!!!

It IS a Linux for human beings...

Aijaz said:
1. You cannot log in as root when you open it. All copying and pasting of files, creating of files that need Root permission have to be done in console.

It is simply a method of protecting the system. Unlike Windows XP, where Spyware get installed by default. But in linux, when you work as root, then, u tend to have a same kind of "unprotective" environment

Aijaz said:
2. Even in gnome, double clicking is required to open any thing even in File browser. It does not show the content just when a folder is selected, as in Win.

As vignesh has said above, Ubuntu is very much easily customizable!!! And muuch better than some Xandros cr@p!!!

Aijaz said:
3. You cannot install ANY software unless you use apt-get and are connected to the internet. A deb file downloaded cannot be installed even through dpkg, it throws too many errors.

Says who? Ever heard of Synaptic/Kynaptic? The Linux world prefers Debian-derivatives for this easy tool for installing/updating pkgs!!!

BTW, those so-called errors thrown up during dpkg are not errors in real fact, but the lack of dependant pkgs/libs... Remember, linux works based off libs???

Aijaz said:
4. I have been getting lot many tips in Ubuntu and various other forums, NONE has worked so far.

And who has been so "Wise" enough??? Remember that the best help is always from the Ubuntu Forums which for ur kind attn is THE BEST COMMUNITY i have ever seen!!!

Aijaz said:
5. My RIM connection too did not work despite getting detailed hints from a RIM user. In my case modprobe uhci gave fatal error: "FATAL: Module uhci not found."
6. For that matter, I cannot connect to the internet any other way too, there is nothing like KPPP that can be configured for the dial up at office

That must be becoz your internal modem has no support on any Linux system as such, becoz those are all WinModems and a howto for WinModem connectivity has been already discussed, if u care to *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/templates/subSilver/images/icon_mini_search.gifSearch !!!

Aijaz said:
there is nothing like KPPP that can be configured for the dial up at office or ADSL Data One at home at my home at Hyderabad. There is nothing available in gnome GUI.
Dear Aijaz, PPP = Point-to-Point Protocol
And ADSL is PPPoE(PPP over Ethernet) and not PPP, so u CAN NEVER connect ADSL using PPP, but only by using PPPoE!!!
And the PPPoE configuration is supposedly easy enough!!!

Aijaz said:
For that matter I find Vector Linux and Yoper faster too. Yoper specially has many features installed by default. Though the Yoper I had had an older kernel, and when I installed it, I could not configure fstab and grub/lilo for dual boot. But I was greatly impressed by its looks and speed. Any Yoper user here to comment?

Will you stop being a silly complaint-baby??? Just pure speed can be achieved by a server-install of Ubuntu, if that is what u want!!!
Remember, Windows 98 SE is still preferred over Windows XP not only becoz of its speed... but also sturdiness, and safer-ness!!!

And Ubuntu does not boast of one of the largest and fastest-growing Users community for nothing!!!

And I have nothing more to say!!!

GNUrag

FooBar Guy
Aijaz Akhtar said:

How to enable root login in Ubuntu
You must do it once through console. After that hopefully you'll not need to use console :)
$ sudo passwd root
provide a new password for root user if you do not already have any password for root.
$ sudo gdmsetup
Go to Security tab and check Allow root to login with GDM
See the screenshot.
*img200.imageshack.us/img200/551/gdmsetup9hd.th.png
This will enable root login from the main login screen and you'll be able to edit config files by logging in as the root user.

Aijaz Akhtar said:
Open Nautilus file namager and go to Edit >> Preferences >> Behavior tab, and click Single click to activate items . Also select Always open in browser windows . This will make Nautilus more easier to use.

Aijaz Akhtar said:
If you are downloading individual deb files then you need to take care of dependencies also. For smaller packages this is no big deal. Just go to *packages.debian.org/<package-name> Select stable/testing/unstable whatever.
This will list out the dependency packages in red color. For smaller packages you can straightaway download those packages and install all of them in one go. See the screenshot.
*img270.imageshack.us/img270/6301/rsync1fj.th.png
After you have the package and dependency file downloaded, install them in one go using $ sudo dpkg -i *.deb

However be advised that for bigger packages the dependency list runs into dozens. So its better if you allow apt-get to sort these out for you.

If you get things messed up while installing packages individually using deb files then i'd highly recommend you to get hold of the Ubuntu DVD. Its highly functional distribution and includes all the packages one can ever need. The single CD ubuntu does not provide many packages.
Aijaz Akhtar said:
Please try out these websites maintained by Ubuntu community itself.
*ubuntuforums.org/
*ubuntuguide.org/

Ubuntu guide is a highly useful site and it helped me to get SMP kernel installed on my Macintosh G4 server.
Aijaz Akhtar said:
I have not used RIM internet connection myself, but know of many users who have successfully made it work on Ubuntu. Going through some RIM howtos may help.
*www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Reliance-HOWTO/
*www.gnulinuxclub.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=56&Itemid=1
These are about FWP. Am not sure if they will work with RIM handsets. Try on your own.
Aijaz Akhtar said:
6. For that matter, I cannot connect to the internet any other way too, there is nothing like KPPP that can be configured for the dial up at office or ADSL Data One at home at my home at Hyderabad. There is nothing available in gnome GUI.
You have not tried gnome-ppp tool that's there in Ubuntu's archive. It exists in the universe section of their archive. Its quite functional and identical to KPPP. However it runs on top of wvdial, which is already installed in ubuntu.
*img222.imageshack.us/img222/2723/gnomeppp0ae.th.png
Again, your most of the problems will get solved if you opt for the Ubuntu DVD version.

Aijaz Akhtar said:
7. There is no GUI to check the partitions. QTParted is not available even in the repository. In an office system, I had XP and Xandros, and when I installed Ubuntu, it has veryy wisely retained XP and Xandros. But which partitions hasn what cannot be seen. In KDE, the Konquerer has the device panel where we can see all the hda partitions.
QTparted is available with Ubuntu's archives. But it exists in Universe section which is available for installation through internet or through DVD. I do not know of any other GUI tool.
However you may use $ sudo fdisk -l /dev/hdx for getting a list of available partition types.
*img200.imageshack.us/img200/9522/fdisk9cs.th.png
Cfdisk is also quite a usable tool. $ sudo cfdisk /dev/hdx
*img344.imageshack.us/img344/1227/cfdisk8vt.th.png

Aijaz Akhtar said:
8. I could configure locales and interface in Hindi and Arabic/Persian work fine in gnome menu only. But not iin OpenOffice. There the menu bar too shows all rectangles. Though under each language, havee configurd fonts. And yes, I have run reconfigure locales umpteen number of times.
OpenOffice is not based on GTK toolkit so i doubt its localised interface can be seen by reconfiguring locales package. I'll check up with this and let you know.
Aijaz Akhtar said:
There are many reasons. The lack of extra package makes it extremely usable distribution. I have used fedoras and mandrakes and what i feel is large number of package confuses me. Each one has his/her own opinion. I just find clean interface more usable.

One more addiional note. You can install webmin from ubuntu's archives. Webmin provides web interface for most of the administrative tasks and i have converted many newbie users (who were scared to touch command line) into sysadmins by installing Webmin on their computers. Head over to *www.webmin.com/ and see a demo of what webmin can do.

banned2wise

Broken In
ONE SIMPLE ANGRY ANSWER. Linux is not windows, all n00bs like u say , LINUX IS BAD ...... Ok then just stfu and goto windows, linux is meant for ppl with atleast some average learning capabilities. To work in GUI is no magic, work in CUI work like a linux user.
Dont sweat it man.... run away for windows now ajiaz.

GNUrag

FooBar Guy
banned2wise said:
ONE SIMPLE ANGRY ANSWER. Linux is not windows, all n00bs like u say , LINUX IS BAD ...... Ok then just stfu and goto windows, linux is meant for ppl with atleast some average learning capabilities. To work in GUI is no magic, work in CUI work like a linux user.
@banned2wise, hold back your words. Mr. Aijaz is not a kid.
Everyone has opinions and you must learn to respect them.

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
banned2wise said:

yep, u r a bit too rude in ur opinion mr.bombastic i think after bannin u have become banned 2 wise but get wiser...

cryptid

Journeyman
Aijaz Akhtar said:

Man i personally feel its a personal problem coz i didnt have all these problems on my ubuntu,, well i have the original ubuntu 5.04 cd (hope that makes all the diffrence)

vignesh

Wise Old Owl
All ubuntu cds are the same original or burned.That makes no differences.

@Ajaz
Each distro has a few plus and minuses.Just learn how to solve them.Even windows maybe very easy to use but spam and viruses come free with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom