ubuntu scare's!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

romeo_8693

"The RaCaLaNGeL"©
ok,first just two days ago i installed ubuntu....and i have no expirience with linux!so tht makes me completely new to linux.
now i want to install xmms and vlc player.how can i do it???(i dont have net at home).
secondly from where to access the terminal?

Satissh S

Youngling
1. Accesories --> Terminal if iam not wrong, else press alt-f2 and type gnome-terminal.

2. I dont think vlc is in ubuntu's discs, u have to download the deb file and do,
Code:
$ sudo dpkg -i vlc*.deb
To install Xmms, locate it in ubuntu discs and cd to the packages directory and install the same with dpkg,
Code:
$ sudo dpkg -i xmms*.deb

vinayasurya

Journeyman
Installing without a net connection will be diffcult. You can install it if you have a little bit of patience. Do the following.
$sudo dpkg -l
This will list all packages in the system. Save the output to a file using
$sudo dpkg -l >file
Now go to *packages.ubuntu.com search for xmms and vlc.
In the download page check whether the dependencies are installed by comparing list in file. If the dependency is not installed download the dependency. Check for the depedencies of depedency also. Download the main package. Install all dependencies and package.

There is another clever way of downloading packages and depedency automatically. Access a computer with net connection.
Use your ubuntu live cd. Add the additional resportaires in the synaptic package manager. Search for the package and click check box. Select download only. The downloaded packages and depedencies will be in /var/apt/cache . Copy to removable media and install on your system.

JGuru

Wise Old Owl
They can give only free software. XMMS plays MP3 (that's patented, not free!!) . The others get them from
their repositories online. After installing all the restricted formats you can play Windows media Video,
VCD/ DVD etc., I don't think anyone wants more than that!!

kalpik

In Pursuit of "Happyness"
VLC is dependancy HELL! Dont even try to install VLC without a net connection.

borg

In the zone
Exactly, VLC is an absolute nightmare. You will get nowhere without a net connection. And besides, it isn't needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom