UBUNTU post-install problem..

Status
Not open for further replies.

//siddhartha//

Stabbing my shoe
Hi! Guys,
I am having a problem after installing UBUNTU.
:arrow: Actually, when I start the O.S., in the tests it says OK to all tests except one called something like "temporary name resolution" . Moreover, it fails to start the X Server, due to which there is no visual interface.
:arrow: Moreover, when asked for username and password, I enter the username, but when password is asked and I type anything on the keyboard nothing appears on the screen (not even asterisks ******). SO, I just restart the computer and go to my Win XP.
:arrow: When using the live CD, I was faced with a problem, that the screen would not load and the monitor would go to standby position, but then I added a line in the commands "x hsync=a vsync=b" where a is my Horizontal Screen frequency and b is my Vertical Screen frequency. I think the X Server does not load because of some screen resolution problems..
:arrow: HOw can I modify the commands so as to start the X Server and finally, what about entering the password.. Plz help..

OP
S

//siddhartha//

Stabbing my shoe
I am losing trust in UBUNTU...
:arrow: All guys at the forum, help me plz.... If not atleast tell me how to uninstall UBUNTU from my hard drive ( on E: i.e. hda6)
:arrow: And help me configure SuSE installation for partitioning.. U see I don't know a bit of partitioning.. Tell me what should I do in the partition table to install SuSE 9.1 on my (E: or hda6) after uninstalling UBUNTU...

cool_dude_prav

In the zone
Hey @Siddhartha...

Please grow up!!!

How can you expect Linux to be like stuck up Windows???
Remember problems in Windows are auto-created...
But in Linux, it is user-created... :oops:

:arrow: In Linux this is called Masking... Wherein you cannot even view the number of letters being typed in... More secure... Please type as usual and log in... :wink:

:arrow: How can you possibly loose faith in Ubuntu in a matter of just 14 min.? Please wait for more seasoned users like @pradeep and @GNUrag to answer... I can give you answers to those questions that can be answered by lesser mortals... :twisted:

:arrow: Please mention wat ver. of Ubuntu and yr sys config. for more detailed answers...

And finally... Please wait...

If you have Impatience, It is like Windows crashing every now and then :wink:
Of course I am not into Windows bashing.. But I installed both Ubuntu and KUbuntu and both worked fine until I myself crashed them out.. :wink:
No probs then ... So it might be someting to do with your config. Please give more details...

OP
S

//siddhartha//

Stabbing my shoe
I have Warty Warthog 4.10 UBUNTU Linux.. and my sys. config is: Pentium IV 1.5 GHz, 128 MB SDRAM, 40 GB Seagate HDD, NVIDIA RIVA TNT2 Model 64/Model 64 Pro and what else ! ! !

OP
S

//siddhartha//

Stabbing my shoe
Visual probs...

Hi! Guys,
Sorry for the impaitience but I contacted another friend at linuxforums.org and he gave me a few steps of what to do. I reinstalled UBUNTU and successfully logged in. Again it failed to load XServer. So, I wrote the command:
sudo pico /etc/X11/XF86Config-4
I configured my horizontal and vertical frequencies for the monitor. And saved it by Ctrl+O and exited by Ctrl+X as said my frnd.
But when I gave the command:
it still was not able to start XServer. What should I do now? On start up, it still shows one test fail. It is something of "NAME RESOLUTION" and also shows some 5 errors or something (regarding my sound devices, etc..
What can be the problem???
Plz help....

GNUrag

FooBar Guy
//siddhartha// said:
Hi! Guys,
I am having a problem after installing UBUNTU.
:arrow: Actually, when I start the O.S., in the tests it says OK to all tests except one called something like "temporary name resolution" . Moreover, it fails to start the X Server, due to which there is no visual interface.
That is the point when your ntp client (which gets installed by default install in Ubuntu) tries to access the ntp server, ntp.ubuntulinux.org to set your system's time. Since you dont have LAN internet, it fails. Its nothing to worry about.

//siddhartha// said:
:arrow: Moreover, when asked for username and password, I enter the username, but when password is asked and I type anything on the keyboard nothing appears on the screen (not even asterisks ******). SO, I just restart the computer and go to my Win XP.
Hidden password field. This has been explained.

//siddhartha// said:
:arrow: When using the live CD, I was faced with a problem, that the screen would not load and the monitor would go to standby position, but then I added a line in the commands "x hsync=a vsync=b" where a is my Horizontal Screen frequency and b is my Vertical Screen frequency. I think the X Server does not load because of some screen resolution problems..
probably yes. Did you check your screen config by booting from Knoppix?

//siddhartha// said:
:arrow: HOw can I modify the commands so as to start the X Server and finally, what about entering the password.. Plz help..
It will start automatically in Ubuntu, if your X server is configured properly.
//siddhartha// said:
On start up, it still shows one test fail. It is something of "NAME RESOLUTION" and also shows some 5 errors or something (regarding my sound devices, etc..
What can be the problem???
Those errors pop up because of missing kernel modules in Ubuntu. Dont worry about them. Your system will work even without them. (Like mine works)

cool_dude_prav

In the zone
Great work as usual GNUrag.. :wink:

But @siddharth... why do you have to keep posting again every few minutes??

Please edit your post for updated queries asin the case of your 3rd and 4th posts made within 4 minutes.. :sad: ...

Please do not try to increase post count here :oops: ..

Anyways.. Happy that you're Qs were answered properly???

OP
S

//siddhartha//

Stabbing my shoe
Well, I am not satisfied by the answers.. Moreover, I am not trying 2 increase post counts..
I have already set the password by reinstalling UBUNTU.. But, the XServer is not loading.. I hve tried 2 correct the sudo pico /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 file but nothing seems 2 happen... The same XServer not laoded error pops up.. Plz help..

GNUrag

FooBar Guy
//siddhartha// said:
I have already set the password by reinstalling UBUNTU..
There was no point in reinstalling Ubuntu.

//siddhartha// said:
But, the XServer is not loading.. I hve tried 2 correct the sudo pico /etc/X11/XF86Config-4[/i] file but nothing seems 2 happen...

that's because pico is not there in Ubuntu. Its a non free package and not present in Debian derived distros. Try opening it inside vi or emacs.. but then you'll have to learn vi/emacs editing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom