Ubuntu? Not for me, thanks-article

Status
Not open for further replies.

freebird

Debian Rocks!
It's common to see newbies on general tech forums ask for advice about distributions when they are planning to test out GNU/Linux for the first time.
The distribution of choice when it comes to a first go these days is Ubuntu - even though the recommendations come from users of various distributions.

It's easy to see why Ubuntu is the chosen one (pun intended) - one only has to pop in a CD on any fairly modern PC and see the results. A graphical desktop is available for use fairly soon and anyone who wishes to take the next step and install the distribution has a very easy setup to follow. Of course, there are plenty of other distributions which are equally usable - Ubuntu just happens to be the one which is best-known.

For GNU/Linux users who want to see the operating system become more and more mainstream, Ubuntu is a nice manifesto to brandish. You can't complain about GNU/Linux being difficult to install anymore. You can't whinge about not being able to use proprietary codecs or play DVDs. You can't make a noise about the problem of updating software. And you have to keep your mouth shut about usability.

Then why would someone not want to use the distribution? I have strong reservations about Ubuntu, its motives and the way it is shaping up. The deal its parent company, Canonical, has just struck with commercial Linux company Linspire (formerly Lindows) to use commercial software from the Click and Run warehouse owned by Linspire is just the latest indication that, with Ubuntu, all is not as it seems.
read full article:
*www.itwire.com.au/content/view/9398/1090/
Interesting article about ubuntu's Mr.Nice guy play
perhaps a time came to re-think about debian and its dsc and dfsg :p

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
Ubuntu is not recommended just because it's popular. It's solid debian base and flexibility to be as easy or as functional as the user likes, is what makes it the choice of long time linux users.
I haven't read the complete article yet, it will be interesting to read further.

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
I find it easy to use...but slax easier to install application in, too bad slax is a CD based distro & not installable (officially)

If Ubuntu some how gets the slax like application installation method of modules ".mo" then it can easily becomes the top distro. The current installation method is well, good but comon.....not everyone got 24/7 internet still. Why not provide a .mo like installation approch, so that the installation files can be downloaded, & backed up too.

GNOME nautilas is better though, as far as file manager goes, simple & effective. Konqurer is powerful but cluttered

dissel

Cyborg Agent
Nice article....Yeah the Internet bandwidth still a problem in our country,
even not all PC have the net connection or have some limited connection.

quite off-topic but I want to know,
If I download DVD iso from original ubuntu site...Is the all package bundled on disc iso ?

I don't want the modified version like x-mas,satanic edition etc.etc...

*img118.imageshack.us/img118/1488/userbar333171eb6.gif

aku

Gonna make it BiG
@dissel.. i dun think so.. a singl dvd iso wont b able to carry items from all the reposetories.
strangely... i am not being able to find any diff. between the cd and dvd image of dapper. dun kno if im missin sumthin or not...
is it sumthin like dis.. dat the packages are present in da dvd.. but arnt installed in the live distro???

rajasekharan

Youngling
Ubuntu is a nice o.s the moded ones are so good :). now with linspire they will improve a lot :). i have good faith in Ubuntu :).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom