Ubuntu: next release will be the critical one

Status
Not open for further replies.

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com
April 24 will be a red letter day for the Ubuntu project. It will be three-and-a-half years since the experiment began and the release that day of Hardy Heron, as version 8.04 is known, will be a defining moment. This could well be the release that either makes or breaks the project.

Read Further

The thing that concerns me is around half of the total bugs on its bug tracker are not even touched once. Means it nobody bothered to look at them even once. I myself had reported some bugs at Launchpad( Ubuntu bug tracker). the response came for after 30-40 days. and in worst cases some bugs received no response at all & expired.

This is dangerous for a Project with fast release cycles.

So You Guys think on Ubuntu project particularly Hardy Heron.
Now, According to you what would be the fate of Ubuntu project.
Will it attract more users or sink under its own weight?

Last edited:

aditya.shevade

Console Junkie
I think that too much popularity is causing this effect. As Prakash said, Linux community needs interested members and developers....

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
We need real developers in the team, not power and popularity hungry people! I don't understand one thing... the internals hafn't been much worked on (lots of bugs still exists, even major ones), neither has the looks been changed then wtf is the team doing??!!! sitting and hatching eggs!!??

Actually if you rip apart the distro then you'll see that its been put together with a lot of scope for improvement. I'm working on a project (stealth) and in the process we had to disect Ubuntu. We were surprised by its organization!!!

praka123

left this forum longback
^what?AFAIK Ubuntu got a good leadership and funding from cannonical(M.Shuttleworth).only problem I find is,Ubuntu instead of concentrating on a single Ubuntu Gnome distro are spreading their community for unwanted forks like kubuntu,xubuntu etc.
My Idea is,optimize the one single distro called Ubuntu(Gnome) and whoever wants kde get it installed!purge Gnome packages if that are PITA :twisted:
that's it!wastage of energy and time with kubuntu,xubuntu things :rolleyes:

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
can you point the loopholes in Ubuntu organization?
Just dig into /etc folder and you will realize the packaging and organization. There are stupid symlinks for setting sounds which point to ridiculous locations. The package manager has been completely beaten black and blue, so customizing it is a no go, the default gconf xml files are all messed up and the list continues.....

The inside of ubuntu seems very un-professionally done! But overall this is all invisible to the user.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom