ubuntu linux 5.10

Status
Not open for further replies.

champ_rock

champ_rock
ok i got the latest ubuntu cd's......

installed it fine....... it automounts all he filesystems and all that

but i cant edit my fat partition and am not able to even view the ntfs partition(there is a icon but it says that i dont have sufficient privileges)

how can i increase my priveleges.? ubuntu by default blocks logging into root...... therefore please tell me some method which i am able to change without logging into root seperately

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
Did you try using su or sudo commands? Haven't used ubuntu before so can't help you more at this point.

OP
champ_rock

champ_rock

champ_rock
su command does not exist in ubuntu as there is no root........

only sudo exists...... but dont know what command to write

praka123

left this forum longback
For enabling root login,run gdmsetup and browse to security tab enable root to login..then as local user type :sudo passwd root" give new passwd for root..that's all.
for viewing ntfs u must be root by default but can enable local users to read..and for fat filesystem editing too u need to be root,but u can change it to enable local user to have read/write privilages by editing /etc/fstab.
heres a link from ubuntu...easy howtos..browse to windows section..
*ubuntuguide.org/

OP
champ_rock

champ_rock

champ_rock
ok when i login as root......

and then right click on the icon and go to properties
then i go to permissions......... no when i try to chagne it says cannot change because it is on a read only disk

when i try to change the permissions of fat partition then simple the tick mark appears and then disappears

OP
champ_rock

champ_rock

champ_rock
i know that ........ i am only trying to change the permissions so that atleast i am able to view the files as a normal user when this errror occurs

praka123

left this forum longback
@champ_rock:
care to read the ubuntuguide link i gave?add this to your /etc/fstab.
as root edit : 'gedit /etc/fstab'
add these lines for mounting ntfs readonly...
Code:
#mkdir /mnt/win_C (create a dir in /mnt as win_C)
/dev/hdax        /mnt/win_C      ntfs    nls=utf8,umask=0222 0       0
if it's a SATA disk then replace with 'sda' x is replaced by partition number.also for displaying ur available partition try
'fdisk -l' command in CLI..best of Lux ;)
Also local users given the read/write permissions is a security risk as u tend to save items to fat partitions,while in internet virus/worms for win^ows too can access the fat partitions.as u may have win^gose OS also installed..but if
u insist on rw permission ucan achieve it by
Code:
as root #mkdir /mnt/win_D
#gedit /etc/fstab
/dev/hdax       /mnt/win_D      vfat    users,rw,umask=000 0 0
i wont recommend this as exec also possible :) :D

OP
champ_rock

champ_rock

champ_rock
prakash kerala said:
@champ_rock:
care to read the ubuntuguide link i gave?add this to your /etc/fstab.
as root edit : 'gedit /etc/fstab'
add these lines for mounting ntfs readonly...
Code:
#mkdir /mnt/win_C (create a dir in /mnt as win_C)
/dev/hdax        /mnt/win_C      ntfs    nls=utf8,umask=0222 0       0
if it's a SATA disk then replace with 'sda' x is replaced by partition number.also for displaying ur available partition try
'fdisk -l' command in CLI..best of Lux ;)
Also local users given the read/write permissions is a security risk as u tend to save items to fat partitions,while in internet virus/worms for win^ows too can access the fat partitions.as u may have win^gose OS also installed..but if
u insist on rw permission ucan achieve it by
Code:
as root #mkdir /mnt/win_D
#gedit /etc/fstab
/dev/hdax       /mnt/win_D      vfat    users,rw,umask=000 0 0
i wont recommend this as exec also possible :) :D

hey man sorry but it is already mounted and all the directories have been created...(its shortcut is on the desktop also).... it is readonly in root..... i want to view it in normal mode also.......

can u tell me that command as i am not able to figure out what to do with these commands...

praka123

left this forum longback
NTFS Partitions are now supported read only.even as root.but alternate method available 'captive ntfs' u can install the rpm follow the procedures..if ur using XP with SP2 its quiet difficult.the linux-ntfs project also permitts read/write with NTFS partitions but that is experimental stuff..

I just want to show that as localuser also you can read the ntfs partition.

open any editor /etc/fstab:
and add this changing the values accordingly..
/dev/hdax /mnt/win_C ntfs nls=utf8,umask=0222 0 0

OP
champ_rock

champ_rock

champ_rock
# /etc/fstab: static file system information.
#
# <file system> <mount point> <type> <options> <dump> <pass>
proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
/dev/hda3 / ext3 defaults,errors=remount-ro 0 1
/dev/hda1 /media/hda1 ntfs nls=utf8,umask=0222 0 0
/dev/hda2 /media/hda2 ntfs nls=utf8,umask=0222 0 0
/dev/hda6 /media/hda6 vfat defaults 0 0
/dev/hda5 none swap sw 0 0
/dev/hdb /media/cdrom0 udf,iso9660 user,noauto 0 0
/dev/fd0 /media/floppy0 auto rw,user,noauto 0 0
........ this is my fstab file....... i have edited the ntfs partition from "default" to the thing that u mentioned/.....
but still when i log on as normal mode (my user name is ubuntu itself) i am not able to view the files....????it says that i dont have enough permissions

and when i change the permission by going to the /media then it says...(please look at the pic)
*rapidshare.de/files/9335901/123.html

ujjwal

Padawan
Did you restart your system after changing fstab? Anyway, post the output of the command "mount" here, and also check if you are able to view your ntfs partitions from the command line (ls /media/hda1/)

praka123

left this forum longback
It should work after "mount -a".check for proper permission for directory /media - ls -ld /media

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom