Ubuntu installed component related query

Status
Not open for further replies.

dissel

Cyborg Agent
Hi,

I have a serious problem...I can't found the 'notes.adr' file in Linux(Ubuntu 6.10).According to the opera:about page it is under "/home/user1/.opera/notes.adr", but there is no such '.opera' directory under the home-->user1 folder using explorer/GUI.

But If I enter through the terminal by using command (cd /home/user1/.opera/) I can see the all the file listed on the terminal window.

Every time I need to format/upgrade/re-install I just change the notes.adr file with my existing one and I got all my notes(which contains thousands of URL address,login info)back. It is easy enough in Windows.But this is the first time in Linux and I can't figure it.

So experts please suggest the easiest way to replace/change the notes.adr file in Linux system(Ubuntu 6.10) or bring the '.opera' directory visible in the explorer.

Even I log through the root but it can't be visible the '.opera' folder under explorer/GUI.

Thanks in advance.
_____________________________________________________________________________________

I have another question,about gaim.
I want to connect the msn and yahoo via gaim. MSN seems well and I can see my contact list but there is no contact list in yahoo. How I can bring the room list also in yahoo ?
Please let me know what is configuration in gaim for yahoo ?

I use gaim which bundle with Ubuntu 6.10.
_______________________________________________________________________________________

N.B:- Sorry, I hope I made this post in right section,if not please mods move the post in the proper section.

desertwind

Cyborg Agent
One basic note: Anything starts with a dot is a hidden file in unix.

That's the reason why you're not able to see it. press Ctrl+h, and you'll be able to see those.

Please don't login as root.

As far as your second query is concerned, it might be due to the preferences being set to show only online contacts. I'm not very well sure about this. Check in preferences.

OP
dissel

dissel

Cyborg Agent
Thanks @desertwind

My opera problem/copy solved...thanks for the cmd to unhide the file in unix system.

Any one have any idea about gaim / yahoo ?

JGuru

Wise Old Owl
If you want to view hidden files (i.e.,files that start with '.') , press Ctrl + H when using
Nautilus. Or use this command to display hidden files:

$ ls -al

Remember, don't play around with the hidden files. As these files are used by the O.S
for configuration & other settings.

OP
dissel

dissel

Cyborg Agent
thanks @ JGuru for your sharing....It's worked. :D

I have another problem now.
I am using amarok 1.4...In the playlist window/Main window I tick the option "Hide menu list" and now I am not able to get it back.
In ubuntu there is a little help provide about the application and the amarok FAQ page can't provide the solution...so i mention it here.
Please help me to get it back.

Last edited:
OP
dissel

dissel

Cyborg Agent
^^^
Thanks a lot.

Is there any way to make short-cut of any folder in the desktop ?
What is the cmd/procedure ?

In my case there is a folder named "testmnt" which is under File System/Root.
How can I make shortcut in the desktop.
Actually this folder mount a 20GB Fat32 partition.

Last edited:

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
There should be some option to show mounted disks on desktop, I am not on GNOME right now so I can't search for it. But, just check some settings you will find it.
It's better to mount such partitions and optical media under /mnt or /media cos HAL will detect the mounted media and will show it in Places menu. It's just a matter of making a directory under /media and editing your fstab file. It can be done through System =>Administration => Disks too.

OP
dissel

dissel

Cyborg Agent
subratabera said:
Drag n Drop with middle mouse button...Then select "Link here"

Thanks man....I am just looking for this option.

@tech_your_future
Thanks for the info/guide....next time I will try to mount under those dir.
BTW....
In my "/mnt" folder there is nothing....even no hidden folder.

N.B:-I have 5 mounted NTFS patition(sda1,5,6,7,8 ) which is under "/media".

Is it safe to mount manually partition under "/mnt" ?

OP
dissel

dissel

Cyborg Agent
Hi,
I have 2 user in my Ubuntu 6.10.
Now my question is how can I change the Printer Ownership.
I installed the printer using "User1" A/C and the time being now, the main/heavy printing job mainly perform by "User2".
It seems the "User1" have the Ownership of the printer.
here is Screen shot from the "User1" desktop

*img259.imageshack.us/img259/9751/print16vf.png

Now I need to change the Printer Ownership to the "User2",Here is the Screen from "User2" desktop.

*img171.imageshack.us/img171/5716/print23dw.png

Actually I need the Driver & Connection Tab in User2's desktop,How can I enable it here?

Even I enable all the option for User2.(Administration-->Users and Groups-->User2 Properties-->User Privileges)

Is there anything else which I missed ?

Please help any expert out there.thanks in advance.

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
Did you add printer to some group like 'printing' and then add both the users to the 'printing' group.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom