ubuntu - gcc package problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

red_devil

Back!
Guys, today i installed a copy of Ubuntu 7.04 { from a CD and not a DVD }... since the CD comes with limited packages, i'm having a problem with the GCC package.

i tried to run some sample C program to make sure the GCC was properly installed and when i tried to compile, i got an error message saying
Code:
error: stdio.h: No such file or directory

now i want to know how i can completely remove any existing GCC package and install GCC again so that i'm able to run any of the codes easily..

CadCrazy

in search of myself
You have only installed gcc compiler and not the standard c header/lib files. To install all run following command in terminal

Code:
sudo apt-get install build-essential

Happy programming :D

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
And the build-essential bundle can also be installed from the Installer/Live CDs, in case you don't have internet access on Linux.

OP
red_devil

red_devil

Back!
ah thanks guys...it worked...{ the online update thing worked.. the one suggested by CadCrazy didn't :( }

and btw me facing some newer problems... VI editor doesn't seem to be working fine... the insertion of text isn't happening properly... i guess some problem with the INSERT mode of the editor...any suggestions wrt this ???

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
infra_red_dude - I doubt if the vi he is using is classic, cause on most newer distros vi is a mere link to vim!

OP
red_devil

red_devil

Back!
@QM- i dunno if the VI i'm using is a classic version or not .. its the default thing that comes with Ubuntu 7.04 cd...

and how do i install vim ??

@QM- i dunno if the VI i'm using is a classic version or not .. its the default thing that comes with Ubuntu 7.04 cd...

and how do i install vim ??
7.04 ? Then I think its vim. I used Ubuntu 7.04 for a whole year. It was my first distro :D

And yeah, you might want to try out nano if you want something without all those confusing shortcuts and what not. Its just a text editor, a plain and simple one, and feels like using notepad without mouse. Any actions like quiting, cuting, etc need you to use ctrl+key, with the keys being defined in the bottom of the window itself for you to see.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom