Tweaking safari

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThinkFree

Technomancer
Is it possible to do advanced tweaking with safari for windows as one can do in opera and firefox by using about:config ?

slugger

Banned
were u able 2 open even 1 page in safari? every page i tried 2 open i kept getting the exceptopn error

it is like sum pre-pre-alpha release

except its looks maaaan!!!! it is abz KIK AZZZ ROKKKIN!!!!

Jobsbhai has a HUGE job in hand bringing it out of pre-pre realease and givng us a browser dat will convert me from my Firefox

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
It was most probably your fault because I used it for three hours and did not encounter a single error or problem.

OP
T

ThinkFree

Technomancer
slugger said:
were u able 2 open even 1 page in safari? every page i tried 2 open i kept getting the exceptopn error

it is like sum pre-pre-alpha release

For me its working faster than firefox and opera. The only problem that I am finding is that when I press back it checks the server for update of page and not loads in directly from cache. Also usual keyboard shorcuts that I am used to in opera and firefox don't work in it

slugger

Banned
aryayush said:
It was most probably your fault because I used it for three hours and did not encounter a single error or problem.

how am i 2 b blamed 4 typing google.co.in in d address bar and den getting d exception error:rolleyes:

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
Maybe there is some problem with network settings or something... or maybe it wasn't installed properly.

I'm sorry my previous post wasn't worded properly. I'd meant to say that it is not normal for the browser to be giving you that error. It is generally quite stable and fast so maybe there was some other reason for the problem, like an installation error or something. :)

Try reinstalling the latest version.

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
aryayush said:
Maybe there is some problem with network settings or something... or maybe it wasn't installed properly.

Safari used Windows Installer, so problems due to bad installation cannot arise.

Safari used IE's internet settings by default, so again, unless the user deleated or changed somefile problem cannot arise.

if it is still arising, then safari hates u & it sux :D

arya said:
It is generally quite stable and fast so maybe there was some other reason for the problem, like an installation error or something.

It is stable & fast on a Mac, things are different on Windows.

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
I was talking about the Windows version only, and I think I made that extremely obvious.

And chances of error are there because it uses an installer. You cannot possibly make an error if you are just downloading it and running it. It is only when you have to install it that the chances of human or technical error creep in.

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
wat r u talking dude appz are even installed on a mac copy them to application folder and they install (self extract) system files only difference windows allows u to choose the location on a mac u cant ... so wat do u mean by "It is only when you have to install it that the chances of human or technical error creep in."

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
aryayush said:
And chances of error are there because it uses an installer.

You have no Idea what Windows Installer is :D. There is no possibility of error here. Either u delete some files after installation or cancel the installation.

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
Yeah, I have no idea about anything. You are the supreme commander of whatever happens in the field of technology. Just get lost, will you?

@iMav
1. When you copy an application to the Applications folder, it just gets copied. No extraction or anything.
2. If you want, you can copy it anywhere else on the hard drive, even on a FAT32 partition. The Applications folder is just a convenient place, but you are not bound to it.
3. You can even run it directly from the DMG itself.
4. Even after you have copied an application to the Applications folder and used it, you can still move it anywhere else you want.
5. You can also make two copies of it and use them individually.
6. You can rename or relocate the application even while it is running without quitting it.

Now, what did you mean by "windows allows u to choose the location on a mac u cant"?!

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
aryayush said:
1. When you copy an Application to the Applications folder, it just gets copied. No extraction or anything.
just shows ur lack of knowledge ;)

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
WTF! It gets copied from the DMG to the folder. There is no extraction involved.

And how come you did not answer my question? Steering clear of owning up to your mistake, huh?

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
may be im wrong ... as far as extractiuon is involved dude .... when certain applications are dragged into the applications folder there is extraction that takes place and there even is a pop-up that shows which files are being extracted ;)

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
It shows files are being copied. The 'APP' files are basically folders. So when you copy them from one place to another, it shows you the files that are being copied. The box says it is copying them, not extracting them.

What did you mean by "windows allows u to choose the location on a mac u cant"?

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
oh so copying files and directly running after download is there any difference between them :rolleyes:

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
No.

But if you run it directly from the DMG, you will have to keep the DMG around. If you copy it on your hard disk drive, you can then get rid of the DMG and don't have to mount it every time you want to run the application.

The basic thing is, there is no installation involved and it is idiotically simple.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom