Tweaking G965 on P5B-VM !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MambaXL

Broken In
Hi there ,

I want serious help to tweak my internal graphics of ASUS P5B-VM ( which is GMA 3000 or GMA X3000 - god knows ) to run some games like HL2 , CSS , DOOM3 etc. . I was expecting a lot from this chipset but now i am totally unsatisfied. And also i am experiencing heavy frame rate drops in OpenGL mode (all games) .

My system specs are : Intel C2D E6400 + ASUS P5B-VM + Hynix 1024 MB DDR2 667 MHz + Seagate 200 GB Baracuda 7200 rpm + Zebronics 500W PSU

Please help me .. please

Thanx.
-----------

premsharma

In the zone
That is the reason, I am still waiting to decide about a motherbaord in 965 because onboard graphics from Intel GMA 3000 is crap. No other onbaord graphic competition from ATI etc, Thus it is better to go for a motherbaord without onboard graphics and buy some cheap ATI based graphics card from palit

s18000rpm

ಠ_ಠ
add me too the GMA sh1t club:D:D:D

i bought a Intel DG965WH m/b (media series), & it has a GMA 3000 & not X 3000 as printed on the BOX or as shown in Intel website:x .
maybe its coz of the Drivers, still no Final Version of drivers released.

when i tried to play games, i too faced SERIOUS FRAME RATE issuse:x, i thought it was b'coz of Corsair RAM (officially un-compatible).

even games like NFS Most Wanted ran like a slide show, & also F1 game:x

premsharma

In the zone
Intel is never so good at graphics and they have confessed that. Therefore, look for a onboard gfx from ATI or Nvidia but that is not possible in intel platform now due to ATI merger with AMD.

For laptop also AMD based are recomended due to better onboard graphics from ATI there.

Gaurav

In the zone
me too have the same mobo, will buy a PCI-xpress graphics card soon, gainward geforce 6600GT, will that do? or do i need a new mobo.

premsharma

In the zone
Gaurav said:
me too have the same mobo, will buy a PCI-xpress graphics card soon, gainward geforce 6600GT, will that do? or do i need a new mobo.

Don't go far 6600 GT right now. DirectX compliant cards are arround the corners and you should buy one such after sometimes, when they are affordable.

Right now for time being you can buy ATI X300SE [128 MB onboard and another 128 MB shared from system] based crads of palit, imported by techcom. It would cost you arround 2200-2300 at Delhi & Bombay.

Gaurav

In the zone
premsharma said:
Don't go far 6600 GT right now. DirectX compliant cards are arround the corners and you should buy one such after sometimes, when they are affordable.

Right now for time being you can buy ATI X300SE [128 MB onboard and another 128 MB shared from system] based crads of palit, imported by techcom. It would cost you arround 2200-2300 at Delhi & Bombay.

will it be compatible with my system,? is it pci-ex or agp.

premsharma

In the zone
yes it is PCI-Express. Infact I have just sold my XFX 6600GT. It was too costly and performance of this new one is not bad either.

ATI X300SE 128 MB onboard and 128 shared from system RAM, TV out, DVI out, PCI Express, Max Resolution 2048x1536 @ 85 hz [provided the monitor supports these resolutions].

Features:

128 memory interface
Smart shader
Shadow volume rendering acceleration
Smooth vision
Integrated TV output
ATI hyper Z technology
Supports directx 9.0 and OpenGL
Native x16 lane PCI Express
Four extreme parallel 3d rendering pixel pipelines
Two programmable vertex shader pipelines

It is palit made and imported by Techcom. Make sure it is ATI X300SE and not ATI X300. The layman difference is that ATI X300SE has fan on it for VPU cooling and X300 do not have fan.

Last edited:

s18000rpm

ಠ_ಠ
Thanks for the Info dude, :) what about the sharder model...(as sum games require SM2 blah blah...)

& when was this Card launched???

premsharma

In the zone
s18000rpm said:
Thanks for the Info dude, :) what about the sharder model...(as sum games require SM2 blah blah...)

& when was this Card launched???

I think shader model is 2.0 and this not new but old graphic card. It is an entry level card from ATI. ATI X200 is onbaord Intel 101 & 102 boards, then X300 and there after X300SE, X500, X600, X600, X850, X1300 and so on till X1950XT. It is pretty good card and cheap because it is made by Palit, otherwise by other manufacturers it is arround 3500 - 4000.

I am suggesting it for time being till DirectX 10 cards become affordable.

caleb

Ambassador of Buzz
MambaXL said:
Hi there ,

I want serious help to tweak my internal graphics of ASUS P5B-VM ( which is GMA 3000 or GMA X3000 - god knows ) to run some games like HL2 , CSS , DOOM3 etc. . I was expecting a lot from this chipset but now i am totally unsatisfied. And also i am experiencing heavy frame rate drops in OpenGL mode (all games) .

My system specs are : Intel C2D E6400 + ASUS P5B-VM + Hynix 1024 MB DDR2 667 MHz + Seagate 200 GB Baracuda 7200 rpm + Zebronics 500W PSU

Please help me .. please

Thanx.
-----------
I'm a bit surprised coz if you see in my signature I use a Intel D101Ggc mobo (which is considered to be at the low end of all the mobo's by Intel currently in circulation) it has ATI Radeon Express 200 chipset with Integrated ATI* Radeon* X300 based graphics). although I have a XFX7600GT card right now I made do without one for about 1 month and I played NFS Carbon, HL2 Episode One & Doom3 without any problem.

Also my Bro-in-Law has exactly the same config as you i.e. ASUS P5B-VM with GMA 3000 (he does not have any dedicated gfx card) but he is able to paly both Doom3 & HL2 without any problem...you may have already done this but do you have the latest drivers updated?
The budget DX10 cards i.e. 8300GS & 8600GT will reportedly be out sometime in March (abroad in India it might take a month more or so). Abroad it is rumoured that the 8600 which will have a 350MHz core and come with 256MB of RAM, will go for about $150 (i.e. approx Rs.7500/- but india it might be around Rs.10000/-).

So you may want to wait till they are out (in my opinion in less than 2 months time).

Last edited:

Gaurav

In the zone
Version 14.27 of the g965 is available for download, it will update your graphics of p5b-vm mobo to the "INTEL GMA X3000", i downloaded it today itself from intel's website, go here for download

*downloadfinder.intel.com/scripts-df-external/Product_Filter.aspx?ProductID=2583&lang=eng

just select your operating system and click on go!.

dOm1naTOr

Wise Old Owl
@premsharma
A 6200 SE 256 [@2.4k] is lot better than a X300 in terms of future proof and also perfomance.
6200SE performs better in real world[in all games] and also in synthetic benchs.
6200 has SM3.0 but X300 has only SM2.0
X300 hypermemory is totally crap. A dedicated 256 is way better than this hypermemory crap. Same is with nvidia's turbocache.
A 6200 256 DDR2 dedicated beats X300 256 DDR2 anyday.

But it makes more sense to go for a 7300GS for 3.5k as it has got far better perfomance nd more bang for the bucks.

@s18000rpm
u were using a good card na???then why do ya want a X300??

premsharma

In the zone
I said X300SE and not X300 and ofcourse uts equivalent from Nvidia too. I mean any cheaper card for time being for them who are waiting for DX10 cards.

This was suggested to get rid of GMA 3000 so that one can go for mobo in 965 without onboard graphica & use some chesp cards till DX10 cards are available & affordable. There is no fun buying ant DX9 high end card.

Pixel shader do not make any big difference. On this crap advise of Pixel Shader 3. only I bought, XFX 6600GT way back dpending upon digit review at much higher cost. Now I do not find any big diff in XFX 6600GT & ATI X300SE in the performance, however cost diff is huge.

I mean bigger companies gets reviews influenced and to their advantage.

Last edited:

assasin

Banned
premsharma said:
Pixel shader do not make any big difference. On this crap advise of Pixel Shader 3. only I bought, XFX 6600GT way back dpending upon digit review at much higher cost. Now I do not find any big diff in XFX 600GT & ATI X300SE in the performance, however cost diff is huge.

:-o thats not true.i had a XFX 6200 256MB DDR AGP 8x card which i used with my old sys (one was a P4 2.8GHz northwood + Asrock i845 and the other was a Sempron 2600+ & MSI K8MM-V).at present i've a Asus 6600LE 256MB pci-ex16 which i'm using with my present rig (X2 3800+ & Asus M2N-MX) and the diff in gfx quality nd frame rates is clerly visible,specially in new games such as GRAW.also i can play the games at a much higher res with med settings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom