TUTORIAL: Windows XP Services that can be Safely set to MANUAL!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
Guys!

When we install windows XP, there r many services running in background. Among them many services r useless and can be set manual to make our windows faster.

In this tutorial I'll tell u about the services which can be safely set to MANUAL.

1. Right-click on My Computer icon on desktop and select Manage, it'll open a window, in which goto: Services & Application -> Services. To disable or Set it to MANUAL, double-click on service and select What u want in Startup list box.

U can also open the same by going to Administrative Tools and open Computer Management.

NOTE: Always set the service to MANUAL, never disable it. So that whenever windows needs to start a service it can easily start and use it. If u set any service DISABLE, then windows can not enable it and will give ERROR...
Some service may be system dependent, like setting some services MANUAL can work on many systems but can make some systems not working if they required that service to run. Thats why always check the services one by one, and in case windows gives ERROR, u can re-enable that service by starting the system in SAFE MODE.

So here is the list of services that can be safely set to MANUAL (Many of them may be disabled automatically on some systems):

Continue Here:

Windows XP Services that can be Safely set to MANUAL

Last edited:

anandk

Distinguished Member
already discussed here in detail
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=21415&highlight=services

DDIF

Custom User Title
Re: Windows XP Services that can be Safely set to MANUAL!!!

Though i knew that all but i appreciate your effort. It'll help newbies a lot. Keep it up bro!

caleb

Ambassador of Buzz

Very helpful info for someone like me. Keep up the good work mate.

ApoorvKhatreja

Journeyman

Hey..you didn't warn us that there would be side effects too....I connect to the internet by dialling a connection (bridge mode). That connection disappeared due to changing one of those services to manual, I don't know which one, probably due to DLTC or Remote registry. I've reverted all the changes. Now its working fine.

An advice to you - Before posting, check whether your tutorial is general or system specific. A tutorial should contain all precautions and should be tested in various conditions befroe posting, specially when it relates to system critical processes.

OP
Vishal Gupta

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP

^^ And I think u forgot to read it in the first post:

NOTE:- Always set the service to MANUAL, never disable it. So that whenever windows needs to start a service it can easily start and use it. If u set ne service DISABLE, then windows can not enable it and will give ERROR...
Some service may be system dependent, like setting some services MANUAL can work on many systems but can make some systems not working if they required that service to run. Thats why always check the services one by one, and in case windows gives ERROR, u can re-enable that service by starting the system in SAFE MODE.

Liggy

Is actually a real word..

Umm I'm missing the upload manager service, I take it that is a 3rd party piece of software? Also if you are directly connected (with Ethernet or have dial-up) you could also just disable the wireless zero. I don't even know why it runs mycomputer has no wireless card.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom