[TUTORIAL]WIN: Convert FAT to NTFS Without Losing Data

Status
Not open for further replies.

kanaderohan

Right off the assembly line
In coming dayz, ill share my knowledge with ya guyz :D

What is nfts and fat32?

It are filetypes for your harddisk. For windows 98se and before, is the filetype for your harddisk fat32 or fat16.
Nfts is the standard for windows XP. People say that nfts is faster then fat32, i can imagine that *www.scenetorrents.org/pic/smilies/smile1.gif
Espessially when defragmenting, fat32 is way slower.

when?

When having windows 98se on your pc. Or when you buy a external harddrive, the standard is fat32. Annoying.

Problem?

Let's say you have fat32. You want to unrar a large file (> 2 gig) and windows tells you you cannot unpack
because you have to less harddrive space... How is that possible when having enough space??? Because windows
is too lauzy to tell you, that fat 32 does not support large files on it.

So operating on a fat32 system, you cannot have large files > 2 gig or >4 gig on it. That is a problem
when having a 4 gig iso file of a movie. so it would be interesting to upgrade.

consequesties

I'm not responsible for your actions! When converting fat32 to nfts, you WILL NOT LOSE any file. It didn't happened @ me, and not by other people.
If you may lose your files, it's not my fault, i think you have did something wrong then... when following my actions, you will be fine *www.scenetorrents.org/pic/smilies/grin.gif

solution

You don't need a program to install to change the filetype from fat32 to nfts.

1. Press start on your left.
2. Press on run...
3. Type in 'cmd' without the ', press OK

You must see this then:

*img374.imageshack.us/img374/4967/untitledux7.jpg

4. Like the picture above, go to your c:/ folder, by typing in cd.. and again, just as long till you have reached C:/

5. Go to your computer, and see what kind of letter stands in from of the drive you want to convert!!!

6. press in 'CONVERT X: /FS:NTFS' without the '. The X is for the letter your system drive, or external drive name. (see point 5)

7. on the question 'convert lost chains top files Y/N?' press a 'y' and continue

8. cmd will now check file system and the rest. If your cmd finishes, your file system is converted to NFTS. You can close down cmd. (if you want to check if it really did finished, go to your computer and single click on the drive to see what kind of file system it has)

9. If cmd says: 'X: was not converted to NFTS, the conversion failed etc, you must follow the next steps!

*img398.imageshack.us/img398/363/fout5gi.jpg

10. as you can see above, my cmd failed the first time. Next solution.

11. Type in 'chkdsk X: /f', where X is the letter of your drive. Wait a while to finish.

12. follow the questions, on the question 'convert lost chains top files Y/N?' press a 'y' and continue

13. Wait a while to finish (would take 15 minutes i thought)

14. After this, cmd will say that converting was succesfull. Check it by going to your computer, and single click on the drive to see what kind of file system your drive has

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
Cut Copy Paste from this site
*sharethefiles.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=54120

OP
K

kanaderohan

Right off the assembly line
nope, thats my version of tutorial,

btw, i also have many more unique tuts, ill release them soon.

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
^^ Yeah. You'll say and we'll agree. Strange. Image URLs used in both tutorials are also same. What a coincidence? wow...

Gigacore

Dreamweaver
@ vishal Gupta.. nice find... when did u become a FBI agent ? :D

Charan said:
Cut Copy Paste from this site
*sharethefiles.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=54120
@ Charan bro, how can one "cut" the contents from a website? :D

I think it should just be Copy-Paste :)

@ kanaderohan, atleast u could've mentioned the source :p

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
kanaderohan said:
nope, thats my version of tutorial,

you version??? Then how come the content is exactly the same and was posted a year ago..

Post subject: Convert FAT to NTFS Without Losing ANY Data

What is nfts and fat32?

It are filetypes for your harddisk. For windows 98se and before, is the filetype for your harddisk fat32 or fat16.
Nfts is the standard for windows XP. People say that nfts is faster then fat32, i can imagine that
Espessially when defragmenting, fat32 is way slower.

when?

When having windows 98se on your pc. Or when you buy a external harddrive, the standard is fat32. Annoying.

Problem?

Let's say you have fat32. You want to unrar a large file (> 2 gig) and windows tells you you cannot unpack
because you have to less harddrive space... How is that possible when having enough space??? Because windows
is too lauzy to tell you, that fat 32 does not support large files on it.

So operating on a fat32 system, you cannot have large files > 2 gig or >4 gig on it. That is a problem
when having a 4 gig iso file of a movie. so it would be interesting to upgrade.

consequesties

I'm not responsible for your actions! When converting fat32 to nfts, you WILL NOT LOSE any file. It didn't happened @ me, and not by other people.
If you may lose your files, it's not my fault, i think you have did something wrong then... when following my actions, you will be fine

solution

You don't need a program to install to change the filetype from fat32 to nfts.

1. Press start on your left.
2. Press on run...
3. Type in 'cmd' without the ', press OK

You must see this then:

4. Like the picture above, go to your c:/ folder, by typing in cd.. and again, just as long till you have reached C:/
5. Go to your computer, and see what kind of letter stands in from of the drive you want to convert!!!
6. press in 'CONVERT X: /FS:NTFS' without the '. The X is for the letter your system drive, or external drive name. (see point 5)
7. on the question 'convert lost chains top files Y/N?' press a 'y' and continue
8. cmd will now check file system and the rest. If your cmd finishes, your file system is converted to NFTS. You can close down cmd. (if you want to check if it really did finished, go to your computer and single click on the drive to see what kind of file system it has)
9. If cmd says: 'X: was not converted to NFTS, the conversion failed etc, you must follow the next steps!

10. as you can see above, my cmd failed the first time. Next solution.
11. Type in 'chkdsk X: /f', where X is the letter of your drive. Wait a while to finish.
12. follow the questions, on the question 'convert lost chains top files Y/N?' press a 'y' and continue
13. Wait a while to finish (would take 15 minutes i thought)
14. After this, cmd will say that converting was succesfull. Check it by going to your computer, and single click on the drive to see what kind of file system your drive has

btw, i also have many more unique tuts, ill release them soon.

Please do post it :) will be eagerly waiting for them

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom