TUTORIAL: List of Files to be hacked using Resource Hacker!

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
!!! WARNING !!!

Playing with system files using resource hacker can be Dangerous for your system and it can make your system not working.

So use it at your own risk!

Guys!

In this tutorial I'll try to list the files, which can be edited using Resource Hacker to change the look-n-feel of Windows!

Following r some screenshots of System Properties window, Processing Dialog box and Shutdown dialog box of my system:

System Properties window
*img459.imageshack.us/img459/9320/untitled7gu.jpg

Processing Dialog Box
*img354.imageshack.us/img354/1048/untitled32jt.jpg

Shutdown Dialog Box
*img354.imageshack.us/img354/4088/untitled23nx.jpg

Continue Here...

Last edited:

//siddhartha//

Stabbing my shoe
That's Ok but how do you change bootscreens when you hack using RegHack?? And also give details on changing other properties..

OP
Vishal Gupta

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
To change the XP boot screen using Resource Hacker u hv to edit "%windir%\System32\NToskrnl.exe" file in Resource Hacker.

Its a tricky one coz u hv to change some images in the Bitmap folder but images will be just black and u hv to edit them in Photoshop with a special pallet installed.

The complete tutorial is given here

PS: The easiest method to change Boot screen is Tuneup Utilities 2006.

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
Thats ultimatum editing vishal ! One doubt - how do u change the orientation of the progress bar ? any easy 3rd party s/w other than ResHack to do that ?

OP
Vishal Gupta

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
I used only Resource Hacker for all this editing!

To change the orientation of Progress bar:

Open "Shell32.dll" in Resource Hacker and nevigate to:

Dialog -> 1020 -> 1033

and here u can change the height, width or nething of the progress bar :D

I'm attaching the screenshot too:

*img529.imageshack.us/img529/341/untitled18ut.th.jpg

kato

Karthiksn
Dude i really liked the way wat u did with the progress bar. Please can u show how to change the look of start button

OP
Vishal Gupta

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
kato said:
Dude i really liked the way wat u did with the progress bar. Please can u show how to change the look of start button
If u r asking about changing the Start button text, then

Just open "%windir%\Explorer.exe" in Resource Hacker.

And nevigate to:

String Table -> 37 -> 1033 (For Windows XP Theme)
String Table -> 38 -> 1033 (For Windows Classic Theme)

And change the text, saying "start" to nething u want (U can type the word containing more than 5 characters also :wink: )

PS: In 37 -> 1033, the text will be like:
578, "start" (In first line)

And in 38 -> 1033, the text will be like:
595, "Start" (In third line)

alib_i

Cyborg Agent
one more question ..

how did you change the position of buttons in shutdown dialogue box?
and where is the 'cancel' button in it .. how did you remove/hide it ?

okk.. that's two questions :D

----
alibi

OP
Vishal Gupta

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
To change the look of Shutdown dialog box, open "%windir%\System32\MSgina.dll" in Resource Hacker and nevigate to:

Dialog -> 20100 -> 1033

Here u can change the position, text, size of the buttons and to remove the cancel button simply select the button and press delete :D

Here are the contents of Dialog -> 20100 -> 1033 in my "msgina.dll" file:

Code:
20100 DIALOGEX 0, 0, 208, 122
STYLE DS_SYSMODAL | DS_SETFOREGROUND | WS_POPUP | WS_BORDER
CAPTION ""
LANGUAGE LANG_ENGLISH, SUBLANG_ENGLISH_US
FONT 8, "MS Shell Dlg"
{
   CONTROL "hv 2 go", 20104, BUTTON, BS_OWNERDRAW | BS_NOTIFY | WS_CHILD | WS_VISIBLE | WS_TABSTOP, 36, 85, 22, 20 
   CONTROL "c u later", 20103, BUTTON, BS_OWNERDRAW | BS_NOTIFY | WS_CHILD | WS_VISIBLE | WS_TABSTOP, 93, 85, 22, 20 
   CONTROL "just coming", 20105, BUTTON, BS_OWNERDRAW | BS_NOTIFY | WS_CHILD | WS_VISIBLE | WS_TABSTOP, 150, 85, 22, 20 
   CONTROL "go 2 bed", 20106, BUTTON, BS_PUSHBUTTON | BS_NOTIFY | WS_CHILD | WS_VISIBLE, 30093, 30049, 22, 20 
   CONTROL "", 20108, STATIC, SS_OWNERDRAW | WS_CHILD | WS_VISIBLE | WS_DISABLED, 22, 110, 50, 8 
   CONTROL "", 20107, STATIC, SS_OWNERDRAW | WS_CHILD | WS_VISIBLE | WS_DISABLED, 79, 110, 50, 8 
   CONTROL "", 20109, STATIC, SS_OWNERDRAW | WS_CHILD | WS_VISIBLE | WS_DISABLED, 136, 110, 50, 8 
}

OP
Vishal Gupta

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
OK! Guys

I just made some changes in my "Shell32.dll" file to change the look of Progress Dialog Box :wink:

I'm attaching some screenshots of my new Progress dialog box:

*img299.imageshack.us/img299/6218/untitled11ej.jpg

*img299.imageshack.us/img299/3833/untitled28ey.jpg

wizrulz

GUNNING DOWN TEAMS
please post

CAn u please also elaborate and post the codes and the changes u made...it will help someone like me who doesnt knows how to plays with registry.. :lol:

Top Bottom