[Tutorial] Get P2P Working behind a Firewall

Status
Not open for further replies.

alib_i

Cyborg Agent
DISCLAIMER: This tutorial helps you to connect applications like Kazaa, Yahoo Messenger or any other P2P through your ISP's Firewall. Please refrain from using this information if it is ILLEGAL or AGAINST YOUR COMPANY/INSTITUTION POLICIES to use these applications at your workplace or college. I (or Digit Community) do NOT take any responsibility for the consequences that might arise from illegitimate use of this information

I've seen so many posts concerning P2P softwares which done work because your institute has a firewall installed.

So I thought to make create a tutorial out of it.

Get Kazaa Working Behind a Firewall
----------------------------------------------

1. HTTP - Tunnel -> *www.http-tunnel.com/html/solutions/http_tunnel/client.asp
This software converts all socks requests going from your computer into HTTP- requests ..
Install the software and configure it to use a specified proxy if you have one or put it in 'no proxy, only firewall' mode .. whichever is applicable to you
Now, run HTTP-Tunnel

2. Configure Kazaa to use SocksProxy with IP: 127.0.0.1 Port:1080

That's it .. Wait for Kazaa to connect.
First connection may take very long, as much as the whole night. But once connected, Kazaa will connect instanteneously. :)

mIRC
------

I tried a few methods for connecting mIRC behind firewall. I was able to connect it, but I coudnt figure out how to downloads. The following method is exactly same as that described for Kazaa and it only connects to chat, doesnt allow downloads.

1. Get HTTP-Tunnel just like described above.
2. Go to Options->Connect->Firewall->
Firewall Support = None
Protocol = Socks4
HostName = 127.0.0.1 ( or localhost )
Port = 1080
No user/passw

This will connect IRC only for chat. I dont know how to download files using this.
Somebody help me here !! :!:

Get Bittorrent Working behind a Firewall
--------------------------------------------------

You need,
1. A Bittorrent Client called BitConjurer -> *bittorrent.com/download.html
Dont try any other client .. cos im not very sure it works for others or not
Download and install the client .. It wont create any shortcuts or anything .. It will simply copy required files in 'C:\Program Files\BitTorrent\' directory

2. SocksCap -> *www.socks.permeo.com/Download/SocksCapDownload/index.asp ( 32bit version )
This software converts all GET requests from an application to access internet into Socks-requests ..
Download and install it ..
In SocksCap settings write Socks Server: 127.0.0.1 Port: 1080
i will tell you how to use it ..

3. HTTP - Tunnel -> *www.http-tunnel.com/html/solutions/http_tunnel/client.asp
This software converts all socks requests going from your computer into HTTP- requests ..
Install the software and configure it to use a specified proxy if you have one or put it in 'no proxy, only firewall' mode .. whichever is applicable to you
Run HTTP-Tunnel

Now,
4. Download the .torrent file from internet .. ( i hope you know sites from where this can be done )
Say the file name is "my movie.torrent". Put this file in a directory where you want to download the movie. Say "E:\movies\" ... so the total path of file is "E:\movies\mymovie.torrent"

5. Now, open SocksCap .. press 'New'
Now Give ...
Profile Name = anything you like
Command Line = "C:\Program Files\BitTorrent\btdownloadgui.exe" "E:\movies\mymovie.torrent"
Working directory = "E:\movies\"

Look the command line closely ... its -> "path to btdownloadgui.exe file" *space* "path of .torrent file"
and the working directory is the directory where .torrent file is stored

6. Now simply 'Run' the entry you've just made ...
It will open a small window where you can see the status of your download file ...

I hope this whole this is clear.
If there are any doubts just post it here :)

NOTE::::In this whole operation (bittorrent one), I've noticed that Internet Explorer proxy should be kept in "Automatically Detect" mode. Dont specify any proxy in Internet Explorer during this whole operation. This is true even if your primary browser is Firefox/Opera or anything else. Windows sometimes uses IE proxy in many applications even if IE is not your primary browser.

PS: Obvious Question:: Why doing all this $hit ?
Answer:: cos, all bittorrent clients use ports other than port 80 to connect and download .. when institutes install firewall .. only port80 is kept open.
So you somehow need to redirect your application's requests in other ports towards port 80 ... and i only know this method to do the same..
If somebody else has a better method .. please post it here :)

Recently I also got a good link covering the same topic
*www.slyck.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=82230

( I've also posted this in another thread called Strange net problem )

EDIT ( 3rd Oct '05 ) : I checked and used a bittorrent client called "BitSpirit". You can specify socks proxy in it. That way you dont need SockCap. Simply specify socks proxy as 127.0.0.1:1080 in BitSpirit Preferences and use HTTP-Tunnel. Very easy to use and very fast (as compared to other clients)
BitSpirit Homepage: *www.lanspirit.net/

Other Applications
--------------------------
Yes, its not simply Kazaa or Bittorrent but tunnelling softwares can be used to connect lots of other applications like
Yahoo Messenger <===
Evil Lyrics plugin for Winamp
absolutely any application which supports Socks Proxy

Other Tunneling Softwares
-----------------------------------
Instead of HTTP Tunnel, you can try
  • Hopster :: Link :: Good Software but download speed limit of 2kbps. Buy more Bandwidth if you want ;)
  • Your Freedom :: Link :: I havent tried it. But my friends say its good.

Now, If there is something to add.
Please suggest

EDIT: There is a new release of HTTP-Tunnel on July 10th which has superior Bittorrent and P2P support
HTTP-Tunnel v3.3.1700 released!

This release features RC4 encryption, completely rewritten HTTP proxy code, superior BitTorrent and other P2P performance, and many other changes.
Download Link

-----
alibi

digen

Youngling
Cool tut man alib_i.
One suggestion maybe you could also add tunneling applications or ways for mIRC through firewall.
Like socks server apps or even ssl apps.
Just my two cents. :wink:

EDIT:Sticky all the way !

rachitar

Journeyman
Hi,
The thing is that the tracker for Bit Torrent from where i am downloading the video requires me to login to a site.There it stores my IP on login.When i run the Bit Torrent by your method the IP's dont match and thus the tracker doesnt allow access.
Can anything be done about it?
Thanks

thegame_rulez

Journeyman
hi ppl,
which version of sockscap do i download?
and also i dun c the usage of http tunnel newhere..
so can someone pls help me out.

OP
alib_i

alib_i

Cyborg Agent
digen verma said:
Cool tut man alib_i.
One suggestion maybe you could also add tunneling applications or ways for mIRC through firewall.
Like socks server apps or even ssl apps.
Just my two cents. :wink:

EDIT:Sticky all the way !
i havent used mIRC much...
I've edited the first post to the best of my knowledge
PLz help in this

-----
alibi

theraven

Technomancer
for mirc u need to set the firewall support to DCC AND SERVER
btw are u sure it'll work using the proxy without setting up the firewall support ?
the 3 options in it are
server
DCC
server and DCC

i havent tried this myself. . maybe some other time
but the file transfer WILL NOT WORK unless DCC support is also enabled

OP
alib_i

alib_i

Cyborg Agent
i and my friends tried a bit of 'hit and trial' method to somehow allow file transfer.. by configuring DCC
but never succeeded .. :(

-----
alibi

theraven

Technomancer
hehehe
yeah
configuring dcc to work on a vanilla installation of mirc is a pain
i still dunno the settings :shock:
whenever i reinstall i copy the old folder over the new one so the settings are transfered too hehehe
anyways AFTER dcc is configured IF ur NAT/Firewall blocks it .. THEN u need to install the firewall support for DCC as well
thats what i meant :D

icecoolz

Cyborg Agent
alib_i !!! nice one! Def sticky! Some things. I have been experimenting with bypassing firewalls and so on for a while. I def reccomend your freedom link which Alib_i has provided. He directed me to them a lil while back and it has the fastest servers available.

I would also reccomend HTTPORTSN (*www.htthost.com/). Its free fast (hell it downloaded more than 4gb of data in one night on my friends corp T1 line!!!). The thing is since its free the server keeps changing a lot. But then hey its free and easy to configure and has SSL support. And it can be configured for news and pop access as well. Been using it for over 2 years and worked damn well for me.

For downloading mp3's use winmx. (www.winmx.com). Once again tried and tested and I have downloaded over 50gig of mp3 using this and HTTport SN. Heres how you setup. In the main window on the top right you will see settings button click it. You will get this window

*img227.exs.cx/img227/5144/winmxsetting13gk.png

In the IP section give it as specified. If your using freedom.net then user socks5 if ur using HTTPort SN use socks4. Now goto the Incoming TCP connection

*img232.exs.cx/img232/4789/winmxsetting29ul.png

Choose unable to accept incoming TCP connection. This is mostly the case with most firewalls unless you have NAT or port forwarding enabled. Now select the IN/OUT UDP Packets.

*img235.exs.cx/img235/7504/winmxsetting34kx.png

And select the unable to receive or send UDP datagrams on any port option. Once again this is the case with most firewalls.

Now goto the network tab and just click on connect and voila. It should connect.

For all you people using Bit torrents, Best bet is freedom.net and Azerus combination. Azerous supports socks4 and socks5. I would reccomend socks 5. Remem torrents by default are slow and take a lil time to start but once they do are very fast.

Some notes:

Yahoo Messenger does not work with tunneling if your tunneling software is on the same machine where yahoo is running. I queried yahoo and they said this they have disabled due to security restrictions. Easy way to get around it is to set it up on another machine and point yahoo to that.

MSN Messenger works fine including file transfer and Webcams. Tried and tested.

FTP uploads/downloads works just as fine as well. ust make sure you use sock5 instead of socks 4. And use a ftp client such as flashfxp or Smart ftp.

Once again alib_i excellent post!! I hope my two bit helps!

By the way am posting this using http tunneling from your freedom.net....hehehehe!

rachitar

Journeyman
Reference to icecoolz:
Just wanted to make sure my settings are correct
I want to connect to the comp having ip say x.y.z.w port 591 through ftp using flashfxp tunneled through HTTPortSN(which u recommended)
My proxy is proxy.etc and its port is 3128
So the settings are:
1)In HTTPort proxy is proxy.etc and port is 3128
2)In the port mapping i have put
local port-80*(not sure which ports are open for us)
remote host x.y.z.w
remote port 591
3)In FlashFXP
In options->preferences
In connection
server:127.0.0.1
port 80*
type Socks 5
Passive mode is ticked

Same preferences in Quick Connect
remote path is blank

I tried with port marked * aove as 9510 etc all nos. but still no connection.
Where have i gone wrong?

icecoolz

Cyborg Agent
Well I think you got the settings mixed up :

First of all if you have a http proxy try and see if your proxy will allow you to connect using ftp clients. I am going to demonstrate all of the below using flashfxp (www.flashfxp.com):

Open up flashfxp. From the menu on top choose options -> preferences. You will get this dialog :

*img227.exs.cx/img227/2862/flashfxpsettings13qo.png

In that goto the connections tab and select HTTP proxy and enter your proxy IP and port as shown :

*img237.exs.cx/img237/5288/flashfxpsettings29xq.png

Try connecting to any FTP site. It this doesnt work then you will need to use a http-tunnel which supports sock5 such as your-freedom.net. Now once again goto the connections tab. Select socks5 proxy and set the IP to localhost. Set the port to 1080 or whatever your tunneling client is running on as shown :

*img157.exs.cx/img157/9787/flashfxpsettings37vx.png

that should take care of your connection settings. Now try and connect to a ftp site and see what happens. You should get something like this :

[R] Connecting to icecool007.netfirms.com via Proxy -> IP=localhost PORT=1080
[R] Connected to icecool007.netfirms.com via Proxy
[R] SOCKS: Connecting to icecool007.netfirms.com:21
[R] SOCKS: Connected to icecool007.netfirms.com:21
[R] 220 Ftp server ready.
[R] USER icecool007
[R] 331 User icecool007 okay, need password.
[R] PASS (hidden)
[R] 230-You are user #104 of 550 simultaneous users allowed.
[R] 230-
[R] 230 Restricted user logged in.
[R] SYST
[R] 215 UNIX Type: L8
[R] FEAT
[R] 211-Extensions supported:
[R] CLNT
[R] MDTM
[R] MLST type*;size*;modify*;UNIX.mode*;UNIX.owner;UNIX.uid;UNIX.group;UNIX.gid;unique
[R] PASV
[R] REST STREAM
[R] SIZE
[R] TVFS
[R] Compliance Level: 19981201 (IETF mlst-05)
[R] 211 End.
[R] CLNT FlashFXP 3.0.1044
[R] 200 Noted.
[R] PWD
[R] 257 "/" is cwd.
[R] TYPE A
[R] 200 Type okay.
[R] PASV
[R] 227 Entering Passive Mode (204,92,121,19,216,172)
[R] Opening data connection via Proxy
[R] LIST -al
[R] SOCKS: Connecting to 204.92.121.19:55468
[R] SOCKS: Connected to 204.92.121.19:55468
[R] 150 Data connection accepted from 67.159.5.117:50472; transfer starting.
[R] 226 Listing completed.
[R] List Complete: 122 bytes in 4.89 seconds (0.0 KB/s)

Hope this is clear enough.

icecoolz

Cyborg Agent
its pretty much the same stuff in ED2K as in anything else DC++ and so on. I got ED2K working with httpPort and with your-freedom as well. Didnt face any issues tho.

rachitar

Journeyman
Nope
I tried with HTTP tunnel ut to no avail
Can you explain me the settngs using some other tunnel like the one u recommended HTTPortSN
Thanks

rachitar

Journeyman
It connected today
Dont know it connects sometimes and doesnt other times
I know these HTTP tunnels
1)HTTP Tunnel
2)HTTPort SN
3)your-freedom
Does anyody know the merits and demerits of them
Also are there any other tunnels available
Thanks

icecoolz

Cyborg Agent
rachitar said:
It connected today
Dont know it connects sometimes and doesnt other times
I know these HTTP tunnels
1)HTTP Tunnel
2)HTTPort SN
3)your-freedom
Does anyody know the merits and demerits of them
Also are there any other tunnels available
Thanks

HTTP - Tunnel

supports both socks4 and sock5 protocols. Its free to use. Subscription leads to faster servers and hence faster DlL/UL.

HTTPortSN

freeware, high speeds. Supports only socks4 protocol. Can be configured to work with news servers and also pop3 servers. Downside is that the since its free the servers keep changing and hence the server location needs to be constantly updated. A real pain.

your-freedom

freeware (for now. The site says they might become adware or pay later!!). Supports socks4 socks5 and http protocol as well. Works well really fast servers. its a java based application and hence can be run on any machine which has a jvm. Downside well the servers do get disconnected quite often. So if you put downloads for the night no gurantee they will happen by morning cos you might have been disconnected. Great for anonymoyus browsing as well.

Well these are the top 3. There are some others such as hopster however they dont give the features nor the stability that these give.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom