Not open for further replies.

codeash

Broken In
I have been getting this message

Microsoft Windows XP Professional
[Restore] Microsoft Windows XP Professional [ Tune Up Back-up ]

I get this four options when I start my computer....How Can I remove this other three Tune-Up backup optons....

As much I remember I have never had any backup using Tune-Up utilities...

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
Whenever u change the BOOT SCREEN using Tuneup utilities, it automatically create a backup and sets its entry in BOOT.INI file, which u see at the system startup!

If u want to remove the entries, edit C:\Boot.ini file and delete those lines! (Boot.ini file is a read-only hidden file)...

OP
C

codeash

Broken In
I couldn't locate boot.ini file in that folder tried searching for it but couldn't find it.....found a boot.ini.bak fie in c:\windows\spee folder

shwetanshu

Cyborg Agent
goto Tools--> Folder options--> View, then select show hidden files and below that u will find HIDE PROTECTED OPERATING SYYSTEM FILES... untick that.

Then u will see Boot.ini file, then just delet the files.... before editing do make a back up of ur Boot.ini

OP
C

codeash

Broken In
[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect /TUTag=KDWEEE
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional (TuneUp Backup)" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect /KERNEL=TUKernel.exe /TUTag=KDWEEE-BAK
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional (TuneUp Backup)" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect /TUTag=9XAHZ6
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional (TuneUp Backup)" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect /KERNEL=boot.exe /TUTag=9XAHZ6-BAK
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Restore Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

This is what I found in that file....
When I erased all the lines and tried to save it gave me this error
Cannot create the c:\boot.ini file
Make sure that the path and filename are correct

Please give me a good explanation as to what I am supposed to do because if I go wrong any where than my whole Windows won't boot....

OP
C

codeash

Broken In
One more thing....I found a "hiberfil" named file in the same folder...it is a 275MB file and a system config file can't be that big so is it a file that is created when I hibernate my laptop??? If it is than is it safe to delete it???

manas

Wandering in the zone ...
Edit boot.ini and keep just these lines.Delete all other lines.

[boot loader]
timeout=30
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

OP
C

codeash

Broken In
manas said:
Edit boot.ini and keep just these lines.Delete all other lines.

[boot loader]
timeout=30
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

But I am not able to save it than it gives me the above error...I am using note pad to edit the ini file is it right....

OP
C

codeash

Broken In
I think I will even have to change the attributes to this file from 'Read only'. I am not able to save the file after editting....

OP
C

codeash

Broken In
Finally worked out for me had to change the attributes....uncheck the read only option so that I can edit it

Thanks all...

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
Good to know that ur problem has been solved!
I already told u in my post that "Boot.ini" file will be Read-only :wink:
codeash said:
One more thing....I found a "hiberfil" named file in the same folder...it is a 275MB file and a system config file can't be that big so is it a file that is created when I hibernate my laptop??? If it is than is it safe to delete it???
U can't delete this file directly in windows coz its being used by windows! To delete it first u hv to disable the option of Hibernate in Power settings...

Dominican Platain

Right off the assembly line
codeash said:
Finally worked out for me had to change the attributes....uncheck the read only option so that I can edit it

Thanks all...
when i go to save my boot file i keep gettin the same message you was getting. But the only diffrence on my computer is that When i go to save it doesnt have the READ ONLY option.. im lost and i dont know what to do from this point.

prasad_den

Padawan
^^ First right click the boot file >> select properties >>> Uncheck the Read only option...

Now edit it.. and then save it..

Now repeat the first step, and check the Read only option..!!

Dominican Platain

Right off the assembly line
i cant find the file it self.........The way i found it was tha i went to start>>>run >>>>C:Boot.ini.......................thats how i was trying to edit it and save it. but i couldnt do it.

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
^^ Its HIDDEN and u hv to enable "Show Hidden Files" option and disable "Hide Protected System Files" option in "Tools -> Folder Options" to see it. :)

The easiest way to modify this file will be:

Type "sysdm.cpl" in RUN and goto "Advanced" tab. Click on "Settings" button in "Startup and Recovery" section. Now u can edit the file easily. ;)

Liggy

Is actually a real word..
you can also go to msconfig, boot.ini tab and then click the button that says "check all boot paths" this should generally clear out unwanted bootup entries.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom