Trouble playing a Media File.......

Status
Not open for further replies.

sr123

Broken In
Hello,

I downloaded a video from the internet. It was divided into several parts which were like video.001, video.002, video.003, etc. I joined the parts with hjsplit into one file. But this file does not have any extension. In the properties dialogue box, it just shows "file" as file type. It is not playable in any media player. I tried Windows Media Player, VLC Player, Real Player, etc.

In VLC Player though, the file did start off, but only with on and off sound and no video.

The Gspot software showed the file to be a .rm file. No other info in that.

On opening in a hex editor, it showed that the file was created using 'Easy Realmedia Tools v1.8x'.

Can anyone help me with playing the file......??? :-(

Thanx..........

wizrulz

GUNNING DOWN TEAMS
sr123 said:
Hello,

I downloaded a video from the internet. It was divided into several parts which were like video.001, video.002, video.003, etc. I joined the parts with hjsplit into one file. But this file does not have any extension. In the properties dialogue box, it just shows "file" as file type. It is not playable in any media player. I tried Windows Media Player, VLC Player, Real Player, etc.

In VLC Player though, the file did start off, but only with on and off sound and no video.

The Gspot software showed the file to be a .rm file. No other info in that.

On opening in a hex editor, it showed that the file was created using 'Easy Realmedia Tools v1.8x'.

Can anyone help me with playing the file......??? :-(

Thanx..........

RealMedia is a multimedia container format created by RealNetworks. Its extension is ".rm". It is typically used in conjunction with RealVideo and RealAudio and is popular for streaming content over the internet.

A "Ram" file is a small metafile ending with the .ram extension that is used to point to one or more .ra or .rm files. When the .ram file is accessed by the user, RealPlayer will play the media file referenced in the .ram file. If more that one file is referenced in the .ram file, they will be played one after the other in the order in which they appear in the file.

If your media files end with the .rm extension, then usually it is protected by some site and then u haev to go to that site and register and pay ...some thing like that...usually doen with adult content.

Kiran.dks

Technomancer
Convert the ordinary file format to rm format.
To do that,
> My computer>Tools>Folder Options>View tab
> Uncheck "Hide extensions of known file types"
> Click OK
> Now rename the file
eg. "Video" to Video.rm

Now try playing this video file

OP
S

sr123

Broken In
Thanx for the info wizrulz....

But I don't think the file is protected by any site coz I've downloaded it via another forum. But anyways,..... I'll check. Thanx again....

And thanx too Kiran....

I did try renaming the file before to .rm extension. When I tried opening it in Real Player, the player at first seemed to begin to play it.... displating the time length and file name, etc. But then it shut down with an error.

So, still no luck. Any other ideas .... ??? :confused:

legolas

Padawan
try real alternative. it might work. coz it plays like vlc skipping thro the errors found in the file if any. it actually is a plugin which opens in media player classic. u can get it here
h..p://www.free-codecs.com/download/Real_Alternative.htm

hope it works,
good luck,
legolas

OP
S

sr123

Broken In
Hey Legolas,.......

I downloaded the Real Alternative with a bit of hopelessness after trying what not...:(

It did not recognize the file I wanted to play as it was without any extension. I renamed it as .rm. I started Real Alternative and opened the file with my fingers crossed.......

And hey presto,....... it worked.......:p

I've been irritated to my wits end for so many days to view the file. You helped me no end....

Thanx a million buddy.... you rock.... :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom