Trouble in solaris 10 installation

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThinkFree

Technomancer
Whenever I try to install Solaris 10 on this PC with PIV processor, 512MB Ram , the installation seems to get stuck after showing Extracting Windowing system , please wait..... It remains the same even after 10-13 minutes. What is the reason?

adi007

Youngling
i had once installed solaris 10 DVD
it takes a lot..lot of time..Be patient...and let me tell u that it is not yet worth using OS for home users...u will be disappointed

OP
T

ThinkFree

Technomancer
^^How long should I wait. 30minutes or an hour. I am not having that much knowledge that I can install it in text mode.

OP
T

ThinkFree

Technomancer
^^Means on 512MB ram it can even take three hours. Will the installation complete in a day or it would take a week?

adi007

Youngling
^^Means on 512MB ram it can even take three hours. Will the installation complete in a day or it would take a week?
lol...That's why i hate this live cd cum install type dvd's or cd's...
They must have an option to directly install without going into live environment..

subratabera

Just another linux lover.
I've installed it in about 2 hours in a Celeron 1GHz/256MB system. BTW the text mode installation steps are same as with GUI installation.

SunOS Release 5.10 version generic_120012-12 32-bit
Copyright 1983-2005 Sun Microsystems, Inc. All rights reserved.
Use is subject to license terms.
Configuring devices.

1. Solaris Interactive (default)
2. Custom JumpStart
3. Solaris Interactive Text (Desktop session)
4. Solaris Interactive Text (console session)
5. Apply driver updates
6. Single user shell

Select 4 from this menu.

Last edited:

subratabera

Well, here [PDF FILE] is a nice installation guide and it says that Solaris 10 can be installed with just 256 MB of RAM. I can say that too because I've installed it myself. But it will really test your patience. :)

Last edited:
this solaris thing needs minimum 1GB memory ,I think :x
but it aint worth a try now ppl!better go with freebsd than this :p
Dude, you must be kidding.

Solaris is made for WORKSTATIONS not Desktops. You honestly think you can find a workstation with less than 1GB RAM ?

Desktop users who can use it feel 1337 about it and those who can't use it insult it and say it needs more ram than windows to run.

I have seen a few solaris workstations in action, and I must say it truely rocks.

adi007

Youngling
Well, here [PDF FILE] is a nice installation guide and it says that Solaris 10 can be installed with just 256 MB of RAM. I can say that too because I've installed it myself. But it will really test your patience. :)

Buddy it's impossible for the latest version
coz i have tried it when i used to have 256 Mb
and the minimum requirements is 512 MB +
U must have used old version

and Solaris is NOT a good OS for workstation too..
I have seen and heard that several data center's and workstations use UBUNTU,Slackware etc., and very less people use this OS..

This OS is very resource hog and servers,datacenter's and workstations require light and less resource hog OS

@Gautham:Where did u saw Solaris in action..?

Last edited:

praka123

left this forum longback
@gowtham: but I am saying about Project indiana"ized" open solaris which is claiming to be desktop ready?

bikdel

Alpha Geek Banned
Buddy it's impossible for the latest version
coz i have tried it when i used to have 256 Mb
and the minimum requirements is 512 MB +
U must have used old version

and Solaris is NOT a good OS for workstation too..
I have seen and heard that several data center's and workstations use UBUNTU,Slackware etc., and very less people use this OS..

This OS is very resource hog and servers,datacenter's and workstations require light and less resource hog OS

@Gautham:Where did u saw Solaris in action..?

where have you been? The thread starter is talkin about Solaris 10 and the discussion is about Solaris 10 which will do with 256 MB ram. U r talkin abt the latest OpenSolaris i guess.

@gowtham: but I am saying about Project indiana"ized" open solaris which is claiming to be desktop ready?
They can only "claim" that Solaris is desktop ready.

In reality, it can never ever be at its current state.

Too much to configure, software availability is an issue, lots of security related features need you to know your way into the OS.

Same goes to BSD, but on a smaller scale since Hybrid BSD/Linux OSes are being actively developed today to run both kernels.

OP
T

ThinkFree

Technomancer
Was able to start the installation problem using text interface. But not another problem is there. There are two primary partitions on my hard disk. One for windows, and on the other there is linux and other ntfs partition. Solaris requires a separate primary partition for installation. There is no option to create a new primary partition without loosing data. Now how do I create another primary partition without loosing my data.

subratabera

Try GParted. But first BACKUP your data.

Here is a little old version of How to Multi-boot Solaris and other operating systems

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom