trouble enabling restricted drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kalyan

Journeyman
Hi all..

Yesterday, I installed Ubuntu 7.10 from Digit DVD(Dec edition). The setup went right and I got it installed. When I chose the visual effects to the max, it asked me to install the restricted drivers and insert the disk named 'Ubuntu 7.10_Gutsy Gibbon_release_-i386' cd. I inserted my digit dvd and it keeps asking me to insert it. I tried many times but it was giving me the same dialogue. I tried to copy the files(packages, -.deb files) needed and install through them directly. but when I tried to install the 'nvidia-glx-new 100......' file, it gives me an error that it conflicts with the existing driver nvidia-glx. After some retries, I tried the synaptic package manager. All the selection goes well but when I apply, it asks me to insert the cd. I copied all the files related to Ubuntu into another DVD and tried to install from the DVD. But the same error occurs. Please help me how to install. When I install through Synaptic, it gives me failed messages for the packages. says that cannot fetch 'X11-...-proc' file. I dont have an internet connection at home. Please could anyone guide me how to install the restricted drivers and enable the visual effects of compiz?

Thanks a ton

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
Add the Digit DVD to the software repos . By default I believe the install media should come there but its worth a try anyway :/ . You can add the cd/dvd by going to System > Administration > Software Sources > Third Party SOftware and click Add-CD Rom . I think that might help.

ray|raven

Think Zen.
^I thought restricted drivers didnt come with the cd/dvd.
That's the whole point of them being restricted aint it?

OP
Kalyan

Kalyan

Journeyman

The restricted drivers came with DVD and they are not available in CD. The site says to download/ order free cds but u have to buy the DVDs. (I dont know the price).

Anyway thanks guyz.. It worked. But I am currently having only the wobbly effect in gnome. How can I get the other effects? the help says that compizconfig-manager should be installed. But I couldnt find the package on the DVD. Should I download it from the net? If so, from where should I download it? What about the extra plugins? when I click to download the extra plugins from the compiz site, it shows a 404 error. Is there any other site which could give me the extra plugins? the burn effect etc. The advanced desktop effects/ compiz config menu item is not available. How to enable it? Please clarify

Thanks

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!

I dont recall downloading my drivers for nVidia however I did have the DVD edition.

y effect in gnome. How can I get the other effects? the help says that compizconfig-manager should be installed.
THe name should be compizconfig-settings-manager I think (CCSM) search for all packages with the name COmpiz in synaptic and scroll through the list. Also makee sure you have enabled Universe, Multiverse etc in your software sources and thenr eload the packages and try searching again. Once you have the package installed go to System > Preference > Advanced Desktop Effect Settings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom