Status
Not open for further replies.

Lord Vader

Right off the assembly line
Of late whenever i perform a full scan using my anti virus software(Avast 4.7) i find some trojans in my pc:confused:...What do i do to avoid these? I dont use a firewall either... And i feel that the scanning time taken by Avast is unusually long... It takes around 4 hrs for a complete scan including the archive files...Is it normal?

I have an AMD Athlon 3500+, Seagate 80GB HDD, 512 MB Transcend RAM...

Lucky_star

Still Shining!
You should use a firewall like zone alarm free.
and install a good antispyware like spybot search n destory.
Spyware Doctor is the best, but it is a paid software.
Replace Avast antivirus with AVG and see the results.

anandk

Distinguished Member
how much data do u have on ur pc ? 4 hrs is a hellava long time :)
download and use "ccleaner" to clean up ur junk n unreqd files. remov all (but the last) restore points using winxp diskcleaner. then run avast once using ur exising settings. aftr it u may if u wish change ur scan settings from 'thorough' to 'standard' and uncheck the scan 'archive files'.

winxp/sp2 fw shud be good enuff ! just make sure its on. only if u feel the need, the go for freeware za fw. i trust u have an anti-spy on ur pc. do install a good one like adaware, avg anti-spy or windows defender, and for the first time 'full scan' ur pc once in SAFE MODE with it.

s18000rpm

ಠ_ಠ
You should use a firewall, like ZoneAlarm free, Comodo Personal Firewall,...

The time taken for full system scan depends on the amount of file & types you have in your HDD.
if majaority of them are in compressed format, like Zip or rar... then it would take longer time.
But 4 Hours :shock:

i also have a 80 GB HDD, which has a total of 22GB free space, & it takes around 1h:40min +10mins.
I'm using "Kasperky Internet Security".
I used to get the same result (full system scan time), when i had AVG Free.

OP
L

Lord Vader

Right off the assembly line
I have got around 3 gb of free space... I do have ad aware pro 1.06... that seems to be pretty effective...I regularly update avast as well... Is zone alarm compatible with avast? Because i did try to have that combo initially but i think there was some problem... I will try once again...

Thanks for replying ppl...
I have got loadsa games installed in my PC... nearly 35 gb of games... and i have noticed that the scan speed goes down whenever it scans the folder which has games... so has it got nethin to do with this??

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom