Transfer data to new HDD from old- Image making(?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aanand

Journeyman
I want to transfer all my data from a 8 GB hard disc to my new 160 GB harddisk. I have 4 partitions in the new HDD of which 2 are unused.
I have 2 OSes -Win 98 in the 8 GB drive and win xp in the 160 GB drive.
Can i transfer the data from 8GB drive to 160 GB drive and remove the 8 GB drive in toto? Will I have the same dual booting option- 98 and xp at the start of the system? Which software to use for this maneuver?

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
My sugession will be just copy your data to the new harddisc and install the osses again . install 98 first and then xp in seperate partitions.

Andyiz

Journeyman

Right said charangk,
i wonder why people still are persistant with win 98.
Better install win2k pro and Xp later and let all the drives be NTFS, u will then note the diffrence.

Else install Win xp alone, y do u need 2 OS's?

OP
A

Aanand

Journeyman
There are few programmes that run on win 98 only. Since I am medico I have a couple of medical CDs bought in 1999-2000 period. Those CDs work on Win 98 only. So I needed the OS.
Since i can't afford to format the HDD with win XP-I have 80 GB of Data stored in it, I wanted to know whether there is any way to circumvent installing 98 to my HDD with xp and just make the another partition in my HDD with xp to recognize as the old HDD. Just like virtual drive for CD/DVD!! :idea:

eddie

El mooooo
Look at Acronis True Image. It will help you in migrating to your new disk and will even save the MBR, so your new disk will be bootable without any problems. All your settings and files will be intact as you had them on your old HDD.

dIgItaL_BrAt

Cyborg Agent
Acronis Migrate Easy would be a better option.It automatically resizes the partitions on the new disk and allows u to deploy the old one for data storage.

eddie

El mooooo
Acronis Migrate Easy is dead and all its functionality is included in True Image. imho using unsupported software should never be recommended. You never know what bug you might face that screws you royally.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom