TRAI urges Govt to boost broadband growth

Status
Not open for further replies.

W i d e S c r e e N

Ambassador of Buzz
*www.thehindubusinessline.com/2007/09/18/stories/2007091852431000.htm

New Delhi, Sept. 17 The Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI) on Monday urged the Government to take urgent policy measures to boost broadband growth in the country including asking BSNL and MTNL to adopt a franchisee model whereby local players can use their copper lines to offer high speed Internet services.

In a draft recommendation for broadband growth, TRAI has expressed concern that the Government has not taken a decision on a number of suggestions the regulator had made earlier includingallocating Wi-Max spectrum for wireless broadband services and making National Internet Exchange of India more effective.

“Only 0.47 million broadband subscribers have been added in first six months of 2007, which is far below the growth trend required to achieve broadband policy targets. This necessitated an analysis of regulatory & policy frameworks and to formulate new approach necessary for rapid rollout of broadband in the country,” the TRAI said.

At the end of March 2007, there are 40.57 million Internet users and just 2.34 million broadband subscribers. “Therefore the growth of Internet subscribers is satisfactory but we are seriously lagging behind on broadband front. The targets fixed for the Broadband Policy are unlikely to be achieved. There are critical issues inhibiting broadband expansion in urban as well as rural areas. They need to be addressed urgently to facilitate expansion of broadband services,” TRAI said.

TRAI has suggested that Government should increase the target fixed for BSNL and MTNL for provision of broadband connections in 2007-08. “The Government should ensure availability of more number of Ku band transponders to roll out broadband services through DTH platform and utilise Universal Service Obligation (USO) fund to provide subsidy for providing broadband services through satellite in remote and hilly areas,” TRAI said.

I hope the Govertment is listening to all of this.

Last edited:

entrana

M$™ Certified Spammer
i hope we get great speeds at least prices, they shud make 1mbps minimum for everyone at rs 800

alsiladka

Noobie Pro
Man i just hope Dayanidhi was still there. He was a man with tecnical knowledge in his head. He did a great deal to get india to broadband!!

Bloody Politics!!!

mavihs

Techie By Heart
You BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP government. Hopefully they'll listen after so many beep's.

goobimama

 Macboy
Oh so we are all pirates now are we? And who gives you the authority to judge us that way?

And what has girls got to do with this? Are they some kind of supreme species different from men? Last I heard, we were equal...

Harvik780

ToTheBeatOfUrHeart
I apologize,but my comments make deep sense,there will not be any difference left between India and China after this happens.

Should I edit my previous post,after rereading it i feel i am being too rude.Its just that yesterday I was horrified by a person's comments on his use of Broadband.
I won't comment again on sensitive matters.

Edit: Previous Post Has Been Edited.

Last edited:

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com
for me broadband is a mobile revolution waiting to happen
Does this translate into better service at cheap prices:p

VexByte

Norms Buster
gary4gar said:
for me broadband is a mobile revolution waiting to happen
Does this translate into better service at cheap prices:p
Same for me also. BUT, I think it'll take more time than what happened in mobiles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom