TRAI plans to prevent WiFi abuse

Status
Not open for further replies.

amitava82

MMO Addict
With terrorists using unsecured wireless fidelity (WiFi) networks to shoot off emails every time they carry out bomb blasts, TRAI is examining a series of measures to have security processes in place to protect such networks.

ET reported earlier this week that the government is examining the possibility of issuing new norms which will unsecured WiFi connections illegal. Sources also said the new norms may put the onus of educating consumers on telcos and ISPs. Besides, the ISPs will also be asked to ensure that customers access the internet over a WiFi connection only through a password. WiFi networking companies may also be asked to limit WiFi signal right down to a defined radius by installing access points around the signal. The department of telecom and the department of information technology will work with the home ministry and intelligence agencies on this issue. Sources said the Computer Emergency Response Team (CERTC-in) is also helping the government issue new norms on WiFi security. It is not clear if these agencies will await the recommendations of TRAI.

ISPs say that it is the customer who is to be blamed. “Internet service providers are taking steps on their own to secure WiFi connections. All ISPs are installing AAA servers and firewalls. But, if you look at the terror mails, they were sent from hacked or open WiFi accounts – there is nothing we can do about this. When people take a broadband connection and routers to make their homes and offices WiFi enabled and then leave it open when they are not in use, there is nothing ISPs can do about it,” Internet Service Providers Association of India president Rajesh Chharia had told ET.

Ctrl+C

:O (speechless). May be govt should ban the Internet or computer may be?

How about you TRAI guys take care of your own security first? Looks like someone already hacked your own damn web site. Don't blame me btw.

*img185.imageshack.us/img185/2421/clipboard01ih9.th.jpg

mrbgupta

Journeyman
he he as you can't see the scrolling msg in hindi website gets hacked by your opinion.Do something other than criticizing others.

goobimama

 Macboy
Whatever the case may be, there's no way they can carry out this regulation. Unless they get right to the source, that is the routers and other wifi devices, there's no way of monitoring who has open connections.

sachin_kothari

Ambassador of Buzz
What wrong in that? I am in agreement with TRAI. Infact its a good news these measures are being planned. Its other issue, if they will ever be implemented, but i would like to see them in place.

baccilus

Cyborg Agent
I think what Goobimama meant was that it is not technologically feasible. I have a Dataone connection and if I get a WiFi router, I can easily Wifi my home and if I don't password protect it, any one can use it. Isn't it. What can BSNL.

damked

Broken In
Ctrl+C

:O (speechless). May be govt should ban the Internet or computer may be?

How about you TRAI guys take care of your own security first? Looks like someone already hacked your own damn web site. Don't blame me btw.

*img185.imageshack.us/img185/2421/clipboard01ih9.th.jpg

Problem is that chrome doesn't support Dynamic Fonts fully yet. I have written to Google people about this.

goobimama

 Macboy
Problem is that chrome doesn't support Dynamic Fonts fully yet. I have written to Google people about this.
I wonder why its showing in Safari as well. I guess the ASP code is IE specific.

I must give a slow clap for TRAI though. There's three scrolling elements, and two different directions! Not to mention some flashing images and text here and there. I mean, wow!

NucleusKore

TheSaint
Now On-topic
I wonder how can the ISPs be held culpable as long as they secure the network and hand it over to the customer.

phreak0ut

The Thread Killer >:)
Now, this means more work for the staff and more headache for the ISP. These engineers will make the routers really secure and n00bs won't know how to troubleshoot and then they'll go complaining to the ISP. They'll be attending only to these kind of complaints instead of providing the right service :p

OP
amitava82

amitava82

MMO Addict
Forget about ISP. Using my own router without any security is gonna be illegal? You gotta be sh!TTing me!

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
I think they just secured their WIFI network too. It has begun :p
*i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj44/visio159/Screenshot-Error.png

mehra.rakesh

Journeyman
Don't worry folks .. such kind of articles crop up in ET every time ...
Its just being "considered" and not "recommended" .. Going 4m plan to execution will take a awful loooong time ...

And do guys @ trai really expect cops to monitor unsecured WiFi & carrying pringle antenna on the streeets .

OFFTOPIC
@T159 :: Whose the girl in ur avatar ??? some actor or what

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom