Track Emails

Status
Not open for further replies.

godsownman

Padawan
Is there any way to track an email once it has been despatched from my mail box.

Like What I am looking at is

1. to see if the mail was opened
2. If it was forwarded

I know this can be termed as invasion of privacy but its kind of important

geekysage

Journeyman
If you have a hosting account somewhere, this can be done very easily. Just include an image file in the mail. Whenever somebody would open your mail, the hit will be registered and you would be able to track the image using your hosting account's tracking features.

In fact, this is the method that spammers use. I hope you are not planning to do any of that stuff.

Peace.

Techmastro

Journeyman
Yes as far as your first que is concerned. It is already discussed in forum i think...
Please search it.
no idea about your second que

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
Hmmm I recall optins in Outlook where you could request a read receipt , but I think that mgiht be in an Exchange Server environment and wont actually work if you send the message to a Yahoo account. And in Lotus Notes theres an option to prevent forwarding but again I think that only works for the respectiive Lotus notes environment :(

Just include an image file in the mail. Whenever somebody would open your mail, the hit will be registered and you would be able to track the image using your hosting account's tracking features.

I think this idea should work for you. But the only problem is each time the person opens the email , a hit will be registered so you cant actually tell if the message was forwarded .

crashuniverse

In the zone
well outlook express have a feature "read request"
when somebody opens ur mail u get the delivery receipt. more tracking can be done by seeing FULL HEADERS.

OP
godsownman

godsownman

Padawan
No actually I dont want it with outlook express or .....

What is was wondering was the last week somebody sent me a card .

The moment i opened it he got a notification that I had opened the card,

What I want to know is can I do something like that which enables me to send a mail from Gmail , hotmail, yahoo etc...... and get the read receipt without the receivers knowledge.

OP
godsownman

godsownman

Padawan
Has anybody used this msgtag which I found when I did a google search,

They say its free.

*www.msgtag.com/home/

siriusb

Cyborg Agent
godsownman said:
No actually I dont want it with outlook express or .....

What is was wondering was the last week somebody sent me a card .

The moment i opened it he got a notification that I had opened the card,

What I want to know is can I do something like that which enables me to send a mail from Gmail , hotmail, yahoo etc...... and get the read receipt without the receivers knowledge.

That could be easily setup without mucking around with email and stuff. since you are viewing a personalized message/card, anytime anyone visits that particular url, that webpage's script at server side can invoke the sendmail routine.

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
use a better vesion of mail clients and u will get a request for sendin the read data or not, thunderbird des that...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom